1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Air to Air vs Air to Water

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 64 Sprint, Jun 19, 2007.

?

Which type of intercooler would you prefer

1. Air to Air

45.1%
  2. Air to Water

54.9%
  1. 64 Sprint

Just curious as you what you all think of the Air to Air vs Air to water intercooler topic. Not after any paricular information just want to know what yous all think about them, have herd about them or experienced with them. Any comments welcome :2thumbs:

2. Mark55

There's no question that the air/water has a huge advantage.
    I'm a boater so I've got the whole lake to use for charge cooling.
    For a car application it would be more difficult, you'd need a remote radiator with a water pump.

With an A/W core the core is cool right from the start where the A/A needs air flow to provide heat exchanging. With A/W the core size is much smaller.

From my datalogger you can see that there is a saturation time of heat from the compressors vs IAT's. The IAT's start out at lake water temp (80 degrees) and it takes several seconds to get the IAT's up to a level off point.

I haven't used an air/air core but I'd guess that the IAT's start out hot and it takes several seconds to get the temps down from airflow through the core.