1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

lean pop?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by boosted92lx, Oct 28, 2015.

1. boosted92lx

Hey fellas,

I'm still working the bugs out of my build. I just had to pull the driver side header and throw away the percy's "blow proof gasket" because I blew it out. I was told to just use rtv... which on that side, seems to be doing great. BUT, now I have a tick on the passenger/turbo side. Not sure if it's the gasket or the turbo flange.. and I've developed a pop when I shift. Through the exhaust. Very loud backfire. I'm wondering if the exhaust leak could be causing this, or could it be a tuning issue? I did recently throw away the on3 turbo and installed a turbonetics... I tried to spec them as close as possible, to avoid problems in my tune. Any ideas?

2. TomR

I was told to use RTV, and it blew out pretty fast. :)

Air in the exhaust will not cause a backfire or even a pop unless there is unburned fuel in there with it.

Is your BOV large enough and functioning?

3. boosted92lx

You know I was wondering about that. It's the only on3 component I haven't had to replace yet. And come to think of it it hasn't sounded the same recently. Any pointers on the correct size for a replacement bov for a 5.0 on3 kit? My wg is now precision and my turbo Turbonetics.

4. malibuguy

Look up Remflex gaskets. Ive had extremely good results with them

5. TomR

I have a very large blow off valve by Turbonetics, but never installed it. It's just sitting on the shelf in the box.

I use a relatively small TurboXS BOV. The little TurboXS valve more than handles up to 28 psi in my system, where we were at around 1280 HP. I think I get away with the small valve because my pressurized pipe internal volume is not real large. There isn't even three feet of pressurized pipe to bleed off.

I just tried the TruboXS because I already had it, and it worked fine. Whatever the reason, it is a real small BOV (it's about 1-1/2 inch) and I never have an issue. It definitely makes a loud whoosh noise for a second when it opens.