1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Bonehead intercooler questions

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Inline Adam, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Inline Adam

Good day, all!
    I have a few questions about intercooler... bonehead questions or bonehead ideas...
    1) If an intercooler is rated at 150cfm, and I wanted to use two (because of space), that doesn’t mean I have 300cfm. Right?!?
    2) Would a radiator do as an intercooler? I guess my concern would be the pressure that the radiator would be capable of handling.

I am struggling with placing an intercooler. Where my hood latch is, limits my space. I can change my latch style, but would rather not. If I could use two smaller coolers in series, that would definitely make my efforts less. I’m not sure if it would work, and I don’t have budget to be wasted.

Any thoughts?

2. westcoastwrenchin

Dont get too caught up on rating, the bottom line is you want the biggest you can fit in most cases.

No a radiator wouldnt work, a radiator is designed for liquid, intercooler are a straight through design for air.

3. Russell

If you want more flow I would think you would want to pipe them in parallel, if additional cooling is the goal series. I have never built one so I am guessing.

4. Pro-SC

5. Bad Medicine Racing

What are you wanting out of the setup you are thinking necessitates an intercooler? Blow thru works really well without one.

6. Inline Adam

One of the issues I am facing is that my intake and exhaust manifolds are bolted together which greatly increases the air temps. Any amount of cooling is going to be beneficial.
    I’m considering running alcohol injection as a way to cool the air, all the time... not as an under boost option.
    I know blow through carb can lower the temps by 100* or more, but is that enough? I’m not sure.
    I will be ceramic coating the exhaust manifold over the winter, which will help greatly!

7. 91turboterror

Why not run it without an intercooler and check your iats and address the issue if you have one. How about pre turbine meth injection as a possibility if necessary?

8. Bad Medicine Racing

As long as you have the performance you want, the plugs look good, and it's not tearing up pistons or head gaskets I wouldn't worry about it.

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  9. 91turboterror