1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Air Inlet Temp

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by blown385, Jul 1, 2008.

1. blown385

I want to record AIT .

I'm data logging with the Altronics o2 alert . It will record EGTs with their thermocouple. Sample rates up to 100 per sec.

Do you think I could get an accurate reading with the "EGT Thermocouple (Weld-in)" that they offer for this unit ?

They tell me its a K type .

Will it react quick enough ?

Thanks ........ :2thumbs:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Altronics/030/OA/10002/-1

What do you guys use ?

2. blown385

bump ........

3. Tims86-9.80

4. onefastermonte85

that does afr, and air temps? So in each side of the exhaust i can put a o2 sensor. Also while recording air temps... sweet. how do you like it?

5. blown385

Thanks Tim .

It can record two O2 sensors , RPM , Voltage , EGT , Two analog inputs ( Pressure , Flow , Position , Ect...... ) and has an Air/Fuel voltage output .

It also does it at 100 samples per sec.

That's why I was asking about the EGT deal for recording AITs .

I just wasn't sure if a K type Thermocouple would react fast enough . It would have to react fast because as soon as you get out of the gas AITs would start to decrease . If the Thermocouple didn't react quick enough , it would never get a chance to record peak temps in time before AITs started to cool .

Does that make since , or am I just over thinking this ?

I like this unit alot , but its also the only one I've ever tried , so ...........:noidea: It has been mounted permanently in my dash for a little over 2 years with no issues .

The MAP option to record boost on the unit is expensive at $ 250 , so I opted to cheap out and record peak boost with this :

[​IMG]#ad

Pic of it installed

The hole towards the upper left is to plug in thelaptop

6. onefastermonte85

ahh the pics are red on this computer.

I wanted some way of recording both headers afr. I also wanted something that recorded my air temps, because non intercooled, i wanted to find out how much the meth/water is cooling the charge down.

7. Ron C.

You might want to slow the 100 @ sec down a little. I find it hard to digest the info due to the varying degrees of recorded info. If you slow it down a little it will be easier to look at trends or averages for comparisons. For me anyway...............blessings.......Ron.

8. blown385

:doh: I screwed the photo up somehow ! :doh:

I'll try that , thanks .

I don't use two O2s , that was a $ 250 option . I don't know what the new LM is going to cost , or if it comes with two cables and two sensors , but you might be able to log 2 AFRs and inlet temps at the same time with it also . Maybe cheaper . :noidea:

The cost of the Altronics O2 Alert is $ 450

2nd O2 option $ 250

Thermocouple $ 100

I just installed two bungs , checked to see which one was leaner , then used that side . Speaking of which , I haven't checked it since I re clocked my Hat .