1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbocharging a non-turbo Chrysler engine

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by 88 GT Fiero, Sep 8, 2014.

1. 88 GT Fiero

Just kicking around an idea about adding a turbo to a 3.5L HO Chrysler V6 engine. Wouldn't be anything too crazy because the transmission wouldn't handle it. The problem with Chrysler is there is no way to get into the PCM to do a custom tune. I assume timing advance and fuel delivery would need to be modified to work with the turbo. Is there a way do accomplish this without going to a stand alone ECU? Maybe a piggyback controller or something?

2. Matt Cramer

Exactly what year / make / model is this?

And is there any particular reason you want to avoid a standalone ECU?

3. 88 GT Fiero

The engine/transmission is out of a 2003 Chrysler 300M, it's current home is in a 1988 Pontiac Fiero. I am running all of the Chrysler electronics ( PCM, BCM, SKIM, and instrument cluster). The main challenge with going to a stand alone ECU is that the stock PCM also contains the TCM. So if I got rid of the stock PCM and went stand alone ECU, I'm not sure how I'd control the transmission. the 42LE transaxle doesn't have a regular valve body, it's all electronic. Another problem would be speedometer because all of the gauges and modules communicate over a 1 wire PCI bus. I'm not against going stand alone, I just don't have any experience when it comes to tuning.

4. Matt Cramer

Not aware of anything that can tune the stock ECU either; there are a few piggybacks that could pull timing and alter fuel (but not add timing).

You could use a standalone here by disconnecting the stock ECU from the coils and injectors, and having the standalone run them. This article covers that approach:

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/installing_megasquirt_in_parallel.htm

5. 88 GT Fiero

Thanks for the link! I wasn't aware that could be done. Now I just need to figure out which version I'd need.

6. 91turboterror

That's an odd combination in a fiero I'd imagine a LS motor not a Chrysler 3.5 v6

7. 88 GT Fiero

It's the only one in existence, I wanted to be different. I also wanted to do a longitudinal mounted engine with an automatic transaxle without having to stretch the chassis, which really limited my choices. Plus it looks cool.

8. Rickracer

Pics...or it didn't happen..... :ahah: :grin: :coolio:

9. 88 GT Fiero

10. 99TTGT

cool.!

11. Rickracer

I almost did a ZZ 383 in one a few years back, but the customer's dreams were a fair bit bigger than his bank account. I thought it was a pretty good deal at $10.5K out the door, but he decided to do a "bolt-in" 3.4 instead.

12. 88 GT Fiero

Any suggestions for a turbo. Would need to stay on a budget so thinking something off of a production vehicle. I See Holset turbos from Cummings engines mentioned in other threads, are there other options? I've tried the Boost Adviser app from Garret's website but all they do is recommend their turbos but I don't have that much to spend.