1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Air filter solution for 101 MM thumper?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by twinturboGT, Oct 6, 2004.

1. twinturboGT

I am helping build a setup for my Dad's slowpar :D Consisting of an mopar race block 408 inch small block stroker and a 101 MM turbo, it's going to make a crap load of power and it is a real street car. Keeping PS, keeping AC, but what the hell do we do for an air filter?

2. Superskwrl

depending on space, run like a 5" pipe from the turbo inlet to either the cowl or inside the wheel well, then seal the area off, and use a HUGE panel filter

If your a mopar guy, the guy from SDCE(sp?) has a pro charger and has a tube goin to the cowl and has 2 big long panel filters where the cowl vents are/were

3. BOSs5.0

do a search about screen filters.. seems people are just running screens now and no filter.

4. DASHIP

I would recommend using a real air filter if this is going to be street driven. You don't want to suck a bunch of dust into a high-dollar engine. I like Superskwrl's idea. Another thing I have seen done is to make your own air filter by cutting up or combining other air filters. I have a friend who did that on his Formula 3000 car, by cutting up a bunch of K&N filters and combining them into one big filter that fit the space he had. K&N makes a number of air filters with 5" and 6" inlet sizes. Check here for round/straight filters: http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/univround.aspx

Check here for round/tapered filters: http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/univcone.aspx

Check here for oval/tapered:http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/UnivOvalTap.aspx

This particular K&N filter (http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RC-3070) has a 6" inlet and is 18" long! That should be enough for your 101mm beast. Finding a place to put it is another problem. You ought to be able to find a K&N that will fit somewhere. I use two 4" inletx14" long tapered K&N filters on my car and mounted both inside the front fenders where they could get cool air. If you could run a pipe from the turbo over to the fender and get a monster air filter in there, you'll be in the house!

5. TurboNova

K&N doesn't make a filter big enough for a 101mm, The thing moves something like 2500 cfm. I also looked into this with my turbo (101mm) and I ran all year with no filter. I am going to run a pipe to my grill and run a screen this winter. If you are going to run a filter it will have be huge to be enough flow. Look at what the guys with semis use, that is what you are talking about. I even talked with a buddy at the local truck shop and he could not find anything big enough.

Good luck.

do a search for screens on this site and look at some of them.

6. DASHIP

I would think some of the big K&N's would flow anough air. The K&N filters flow more than a cheapie filter per square inch of filter surface. You can also use two K&N filters like I do. I have made 1500HP through two 4" inlet x 14" long filters, and I think that much filter area is actually slightly overkill, but I could fit them in so I did. The only way to know if the filter is really a restriction is measure the vacuum at the inside of the filter. I would think that 6" inlet x 18" long K&N filter would be enough. I have seen people run ridiculously small filters on their turbos. I'm sure they draw some vacuum, but they still work. To me it comes down to if it really is going on the street. If so, then it needs a filter, not a screen, IMHO. I can't tell you how many times I have pulled into a dusty parking lot and thank the stars that I have real filters on my turbos. You could also make your own filter by cutting up K&N filters, like my friend did. It turned out pretty nice actually.

7. Superskwrl

a giant panel filter will flow huge CFM, K+N and S+B will both make them custom, if its like 4' x 18" thats alot of CFM

The guy from SDCE has the filters like i said and the car goes 8's so it must make in the area 1000hp with the blower, and the blower proably takes 200hp to turn @ that level

8. TurboNova

Maybe a 4' by 18" stack of flat filters but there isn't a cone big enough to flow that much CFM.

9. DASHIP

I don't think you need as much filter area as you think you need. I'm running two 14" long filters with an average diameter of 5". That is a circumference of 15.7" x 14" long x 2 filters = 439.6 sq.in. of filter area. That is more than enough for 1500 HP (I measured less than 1" mercury drop on the engine dyno at 1500HP). So, if you had two 1 foot square filters, you would probably be OK. Keep in mind that pulling a little vacuum is not going to keep your engine from running, it will just hurt your compressor efficiency a little. I guess you have to decide between a tradeoff of trying to fit some big filters somewhere + the plumbing + a little vacuum on the compressor inlet, or running a screen and getting some dust in your motor. How much will the car be on the street? I run on the street a lot, so I didn't want any dust. If I were only going to the track, I would probably run a screen. I'm not so sure a fine screen wouldn't pull a vacuum too, depending on how fine a mesh it is.