1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Mod motor PCV systems

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by Ster302, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Ster302

Sorry if this has already been covered but I tried to search for it and didn't know how to word it. I'm building a 4.6 B-head blow-thru single turbo system and I'm curious what you mod motor guys are doing for your PCV setups? The last motor in this car was 130k mile 5.0 with a vortech S-trim pushing 14lbs and it would smoke profusely after getting into a couple times, I'm sure it was more on the worn out side already but I don't want this motor to be the same way. I would like to keep the "factory" style PCV setup since I don't like the idea of open breathers(smell), especially since I'm running the stock PCM and plan on keeping all the amenities like A/C, P/S, and ABS. Also, In the event I HAVE to run some kind of "open" system is it possible to tune around it with the stock PCM?

Thanks in advance,

2. ashford

you can run a pcv but it has to be an acutal ford one, no parts store one. the ford ones work as a check valve. the other end (breather) has to be open unless you want to pressureize your crankcase.

3. Ster302

So being that the PCV draws fresh air into the after the MAF, then putting a breather in the system would create a unmetered air leak. I assume you guys just tune around that, right?

4. Jeremy

For a blow thru maf setup just put breathers on the valve covers and call it a day. You don't have to recirc or loose any metered air.

5. Tjpinkston

Theres a new breather out by CFM Performance that vents under boost and is sealed under vacuum. It replaces the oil cap. There was an article on svtperformance a couple weeks back. They are billet come in different colors and only ~$70. I'm thinking about trying one on my f100 4.6 single build. Neat looking design and sounds like it would work well in theory.

6. 99TTGT

one way to do this with out any issues is:
    <no open breather smells >

eevap%20(Medium).JPG #ad

can%20(Medium).JPG #ad

hose%20(Medium).JPG #ad

7. 99TTGT

NO smoke issues here

catch%20can%20(Medium).JPG #ad

filter%20(Medium).JPG #ad

check%20valve%20(Medium).JPG #ad

P1030765%20(Medium).JPG #ad

8. 99TTGT

another option is:

you can also use one of these instead of the moroso check valve
    <the only issue with these is they are loud & a little heavy for my taste>

96/98 Ford Cobra part #F6ZE-9A486-DC

MOTORCRAFT Part # CX1567 {#F6ZZ9A486DA}
    F6ZE-9A486DA; 32 Valves Per Engine

evap.jpg #ad

9. Ster302

I actually like that setup with it being vented into the exhaust. I assume the placement has to be like it is in order to use exhaust flow for the "vacuum" effect?

10. 99TTGT

yes , the placement of the check valve is the key.!

11. notchrocket

might try venting into exhaust , have problems with right side breather puking oil , thought of trying canister first