1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

aeromotive a1000 or dual walbro's (255lph)

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Mustangbrad94gt, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Mustangbrad94gt

new combo is 357, tw 185 heads, f-cam, huricane with eddy elbow, 75mm tb, turbonetics 82mm mid-frame, injectors will be between 80 or 120's, will the a1000 support this combo or will dual 255 walbros be a better choice, thanks Brad

2. Traction Issuez

Fuel pumps are generally HP related, what number are you shooting for. Each walbro will pump out something in the 500hp or less range and the A1000 will pump out something in the 900hp or less range with a turbo.

3. Mustangbrad94gt

750-800 hp, I have a few buddies running the newer a1000, no problems yet, they are in the 550hp range, im wondering if 500lph will be enough to handle my combo, thanks Brad

4. R_Williams

Plenty of people on here running the dual 255s with great sucess. thats what Im planning on using............

5. Tgbstang90

Is that lifetime warranty gonna cover a new engine when it gets burned up?

I ran my A1000 for 5 years with not a lick of problems. They support 800hp forced induction. Dont stimp on the fuel system or it will come back to bite you in the ass.

6. cat herder

Hey now, goatnipples is an Authorized Advertiser (of what, exactly, I can't quite figure out even after more than a little looking, but still). :bow: /sarcasm

7. tommyt

I have used the A1000 and the Walbros as well, but in different builds. I would say they are pretty much the same, with the dual Walbros flowing a little more. However, with any serious build, I would use neither, I would go straight to a Magnafuel and not look back. Example: SBC, twin 60-1's, FAST with 95lb injectors, E85 for fuel, typical street car plumbing with a sumped tank in the rear, Aeromotive reg. The A1000 could not feed the 95's, at 45psi, it was dropping pressure, duty cycles shot up to 100%...replaced it with a Magnafuel 750 street tuner pump, now running 60lb base pressure, 1:1 reg. with 21psi boost, and the highest duty cycle I see on the logs is 75% , with pressure rock steady. Cost a little more, but well worth it, imo. I would guess that Weldon and SX and other reputable pumps would also work well, but no experience with those. Later I installed the A1000 in a car with 60lb injectors, and it can feed those just fine...so I guess the limit of the A1000 is somewhere between 60's and 95's. Would not ry it with 120's at all. The dual Walbros may work better, but there is the "dual" thing, I just dont like to run dual pumps, if I have a choice. If one fails, and you dont notice, you are screwed...1 pump will keep up at cruise and low boost, your efi O2 correction might make up for it a bit, and when you go WOT, it will go lean. If a single pump fails, your motor will stall , and you walk, but most likely no damage will be done.

8. rford426

9. goatnipples2002

10. GASOLINE

Got a basic question, if you could answer, it will help me on my new FI build:

When dual pumps are run; Do both pumps feed into one line? or Does one pump, feed the pickup of the other pump?

Thanks in advance.

11. Traction Issuez

They will generally combine into a larger line through a T or Y fitting

12. goatnipples2002

I run my dual Bosch 909s like Forgery explained.

13. 1968turbostang

Don't forget about the Fuelab stuff, great pump that you can get at a good price from a sponsor here and there is a Fuelab tech guy that is a part of the forum aswell that is good about helping out.

14. cat herder

15. slowboat

Aeromotive has tech here on the site as well. His name is Brett.

Stories of facts about the pumps ? Many run the a1000 quite successfully.

16. 1968turbostang

... i was just saying that he should look into them, and that their is a sponsor here that he can talk to if need be...

17. goatnipples2002

18. slowboat

I threw that out for the same reasons you did just to let the op know that they were here as well so he can explore all the options.

19. madramper

My concern with the dual pump is that if you have a problem with one pump, the engine still runs, but leans out and eats itself. If you run a single pump and it dies, you find out right away and only have to worry about that one pump to fix. Sure, tons of people use the dual pumps. Its just not for me. My understanding is the new A1000 are much better than the old ones. I have a new stealth kit going on my car with the A1000.

20. john01374

We've run both pumps. My buddies Bu has the 255 Walbro's and my Cutlass is running a pair as well. We've had no problems with the pumps in the wagon in over 3 years. They're nice and quiet, flow a ton and so far been reliable. I ran the A1000 on my old RX7 and the first thing I will tell you is it was LOUD as hell and extremely aggravating to listen too. It worked just fine for about a year before I pulled it off and replaced it. Just couldn't listen to it any longer.

When you compare the numbers twin Walbro actually flow slightly more than the a single A1000. If you're making more than about 750HP i'd consider stepping up to the Bosch pumps and not looking back. I wouldn't put an A1000 on anything but a track car.