1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Logging fuel pressure with autometer electric gauge

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Wallace, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Wallace

I've got an Ultra-Light 0-100 psi gauge. The harness that came with the gauge does not have the wires (#4 and #10) for the 0-5v that goes out to the logger. The Autometer # is 9420 for the wiring kit to allow logging....they want $69 dollars for this! On the harness I have all I need is two pins to go in the existing plug. Has anyone done this without using their harness? I can't bring myself to pay that kind of money for two pins and some wire. Thanks in advance...

2. gryphon68

Have not done it, but may be looking to over the winter.

Can you pull a pin from the connector. Typically you insert your smallest flat blade jeweler's screwdriver in the front of the connector to release it.
    (Not responsible for destruction of your connector)

The place I would look for connector pics is Mouser.com

3. Wallace

I checked out Mouser and the number and style of connectors is mind boggling. I can get close using the pictures but even then its difficult to tell if they are actually the same. Is there a way to identify the style of connector or something? Any info would be great.

4. my8950

Your gauge uses a MAP sensor then? I am not sure I understand the problem.
    What I would do, if it uses a MAP sensor is just hook up a regulator to it and set it up on the bench.
    Put air pressure to it, say 30-100 PSI and measure the voltage on the output. Then however you are logging it, convert the voltage to a pressure.
    Thats my plan anyways, sometime when I can spend more then 5 minutes outside to get the parts from the car....

5. Wallace

No the gauge uses a pressure transducer plumbed into the pressure side of the fuel system. It's got 3 wires vref, ground, and sig. This plugs into the back of the gauge, the gauge connector has 10 pins in it. The gauge has a 1-5v output available using pins 4 and 10. In the plastic connector those two pins are missing. Autometer wants $69 for a kit to add those two pins and some wire to go to your logger. Soo, I'm trying to figure out how to identify what type of pins are used and then buy them from Mouser or somebody like that. From what I"ve seen on Mouser you can get 100 pins for about 4 bucks. The problem is identifying what type of pins I have so that I can order the right ones. I'm going to try and get one of the existing pins out of the connector without messing it up to see if I can use the pics on Mouser to match it up.

6. my8950

I cant find anything on what the autometer 9420 kit contains, but, if you take the small harness and connector to an electronics shop they'll be able to match it up for you. Not Radio Shack, but a real place....
    You should be able to tap into the signal wire from the transducer though to read the signal.
    The logger is a bunch of open ports to put any signal input? The only way to connect to it is using the similar pins, or you think you need the pins to read from the back of the gauge? I don't think you need the pins to read the signal, like I said, you can tap into the signal wire from the transducer....

Post a link to the 9420 stuff...I may have some of the connectors if I can see a photo of it may help...

7. Colt

I dont think it will work without the proper hardware.. The transducer sends voltage to the signal wire, then the gauge reads that, well if you plumb it into something else it may not be accurate. It really depends on if any of that voltage is actually "sinked" through the gauge or the ECM, meaning some of that voltage is lost, therefore neither will read right. Gauges that allow datalogging typically reproduce the signal in which it's recieving. It's common with sensors, but I admit I'm not sure what would happen.. Most sensors use resistance, this one does not, so you just have to try it it and see.. Take the signal wire and plumb it into the ECM ( cant tell ya anything beyond that )..

There is no need to pull pins, just splice, and quality splice, meaning solder and heat shrink..

I'll be trying the same thing sometime over the winter. If I cant make it work, then I will either add a transducer, or I will build a circuit which reproduces the signal thats being sent to the gauge..

8. Wallace

Hey, I'm not trying to pull pins or splice anything. The gauge has dedicated output pins on the back of it. The connector doesn't have the pins in it. I'd love to take the harness to a shop and match something up but it's laced into the harness already. As a last resort I'll take it all back apart and bring the connector and try and match it up. thanks for the replies.

9. TrendSetter

i did it with my boost gauge a couple years ago. i found a connector from my box of computer shit that happened to have pins that worked. i dont think they clicked into the gauge connector but they slipped through and slid onto the pins inside the gauge. im pretty sure it was a fan that i got the pins from.

10. TrendSetter

try either a usb header that plugs into your motherboard or a fan that plugs into your motherboard.
    i tried to find the connector i used before but i couldnt. im 99% sure i found the fan i pulled it from and its just a normal fan that plugs into a motherboard.

11. Wallace

Thank you sir! I've got several dead computers in the attic I'll tear one apart this afternoon.