1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

AEM wideband problems

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by VIPERBLUELX, May 24, 2009.

1. VIPERBLUELX

I bought a 98 Cobra that had recently had a new AEM wideband with gauge installed. At idle the thing seems to work ok. But at even the lightest throttle pressure it goes fully lean and just shows ---- on the display. At WOT it'll move toward 11.7:1 and then flashed to fully lean and goes ---- again. Also does the same thing when coasting. So basically this thing is worthless in it's current state. Any ideas?

2. 96b.boy

coasting if you didn't not turn costing fuel shut off off it will go off the gauge lean . at wot does it break up at all like you are going lean ? mine did the same thing at wot and the sensor was bad swapped it out and no issues since . the light load has me wondering if you may have a hole in the tune .sensor going bad will start to show lean at wot then once it completly goes it will sit ay 14.6

3. VIPERBLUELX

The car was just tuned this past week on the dyno, 11.8:1 or so pretty much till redline. The car is in closed loop at cruise and light throttle so there's no way at light throttle the a/f is really leaner than 17:1(highest the gauge goes) because the fuel trims would be way off.

4. 96b.boy

i'd say swap the sensor and was it dyno tuned then driven or just dynoed?

5. Mike93SVT

i would just double check the ground and power wires and replace the sensor. if that doesn't work for you, then it may be bad. but those are nice widebands, i ran one in the past

6. furchaser

I kept this link that someone put up before the server crashed.

7. VIPERBLUELX

Well I unplugged the harnesses from the back of the gauge just to check things and when I plugged them back in the gauge goes through it's normal setup stuff and then stick at 14.8. I guess I'll pull the sensor out and try the brake cleaner trick, but I think I've got bad wiring in the harness or something.

8. lilcobrar

well I hooked the hot and ground directly to my boost box and nothing changes, the sensor doesn't heat up. I checked continuity and all the wiring is good. What's the best source for the sensor and isn't there a VW part number I can order from a local parts store?

9. 96b.boy

VIPERBLUELX your sensor is bad i just went throw this on mine