AEM UEGO Gauge Installation/Review

Discussion in 'Misc Articles' started by TTF/Ken, Apr 21, 2004.

By TTF/Ken on Apr 21, 2004 at 11:02 AM
  1. TTF/Ken Staff Member

I was one of the first people to get the new UEGO gauge and it showed up in the middle of February just before the Turbomustangs.com Shootout.  The gauge comes in a nice package and it includes an O2 sensor, O2 sensor bung, gauge mounting bracket backing plate and some miscellaneous wiring stuff.  I didn't want to change anything so close to the race so I just let it sit for a while.  Finally I wired it in around March 1st.  I cut out the regular single channel wideband and used all the existing wiring for the new UEGO gauge which has the wideband controller built in.  The red and black wires get a power and ground and the green wire goes into O2 #1 on the wiring harness.  The gauge turned on just fine and it is really cool.  But I had a problem with the readings I was getting on the laptop from the AEM ECU.  For some reason the signal wire from the gauge to the ECU was not sending proper voltage and my O2 readings on the laptop were way off what the gauge was showing.  I spoke with AEM about it and we went though some basic trouble shooting and we decided I should send the gauge in for repair.  Of course the demand for this gauge is insane and they didn't have any new bezels so there was about a week delay in getting the gauge back to me.  In the meantime I just put the regular single channel controller back in, which takes about 5 minutes.

Once I got the gauge back from AEM I installed it.  I believe the signal wire was not connected properly inside the gauge, so that is what they fixed.  This time I wired it into 02 #2 and I kept the other single channel controller on O2 #1, just in case.  It was wired in no time and this time my laptop was reading properly.  One thing to note is there is no wizard in AEMPro for this O2 controller as of yet, so you have to manually go into the table and enter all the voltage and corresponding AFR.  It takes no time at all, it is only 32 cells of data and the values come in the instructions. 

The gauge displays in analog and digital at the same time for quick reference and the numbers are very bright and easy to read.  It is really nice to have the actual air:fuel values displayed on the gauge in real time, all the time.  It is very nice to have the gauge and controller all in one nice package and the gauge is 2-1/16" so you can mount it anywhere you want.  Overall I give this thing a 9 out of 10, it is so simple to install and the price can't be beat. You can install this in any vehicle, it only requires a power and ground source and of course you have to weld in the additional o2 bung.  You can get yours now from Mental Addiction Motorsports for $449, call them at 480-203-7038.  Please support our sponsors, their money keeps our forums online!

For more on the AEM UEGO gauge go here.  They sell it in several bezel/face color combos and I believe they are all pictured there.

By: Trent Kendall

blah 007.jpg blah 008_t.jpg blah 009.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017

Comments

Discussion in 'Misc Articles' started by TTF/Ken, Apr 21, 2004.

bridal-shoal