1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

aem tru boost

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by turbo timmy, Oct 6, 2008.

1. turbo timmy

i got a 91 mustang with a hp kit on it and i got a tru boost for it. has anyone installed one of these on their mustang? im a little confuzed on how to route the vac lines i taped a few holes in my intake manifold already. i got 2 vac fittings comin of the wastegate 1 on the bov. please help...... :bang:

2. Bullseye Tuning

I am not an AEM fan but i will be glad to help you get that thing working. Give me a ring tomorrow 231-830-5102 my name is Dan.

3. turbo timmy

that would b awsome thanks so much ill give u a call tomorrow

4. xlr8a4d

What is it you do not like about the AEM? This is also the one I was leaning towards just do to the simplicity of it.

5. Bullseye Tuning

I am not a fan of the AEM electronics.

I had several racers having issues with their engine management at one point and that is what turned me off. That 16bit processor is a pile.

I think if you are going to spend money on boost control why not add just a little more and get data logging and a awesome boost control that is reliable and EZ to tune. The dashlogger.com unit is a touch screen display that covers all your gages and also has up to 15 minutes of log time. It is a simple to learn and use boost controler. Under boost control you can do boost by gear or PSI a sec. Basically it is a must have in the turbo performance game.

It is not much more than the Eboost either and for what you get it is money well spent. Basically it is a race pack with more capability.

6. xlr8a4d

Ok thanks,I will check in to that when my engine finally gets completed.I just liked the AEM's easy to use controls because I am a dumbass,lol.Are you just dissappointed with the AEM engine management? I was just looking at the boost controller only.

7. JZ 97 SS 1500

The boost controllers work fine...we have been using them for about 2 years. None have failed yet....and unless you run a race car, then their is no need for an $800 controller. The only upgrade I would suggest if you want a boost controller, then go E-boost 2. The AEM EMS's have had a few issues, but only with the newer boxes. The older boxes are solid....

8. Bullseye Tuning

If you have a turbo car you need data. The system is worth it in many ways, just add up what it cost for all your gages, a shift light and a tach. Then add the cost of the AEM boost controller and you are way over what it cost for the dash logger. The dash logger with boost control is under $1000.00. Going the dash logger way you get alot more bang for your buck.

A 16 bit processor can only do so much. Most your factory cars have double that. Why would you down grade for performance?

9. xlr8a4d

Yeah mine is just a street car(AC and all).I know the e-boost2 is popular and I am considering it but the e-boost1 would match my ultra lite gauges so much better being silver,lol.

10. JZ 97 SS 1500

The Eboost2 can be done in silver as well. :2thumbs:

11. xlr8a4d

12. turbo timmy

so how exactly do those tru boosts work ? if u have a high and low setting and get ur car tuned how does ur computer know what to do when u change settings?

13. foxfan88

a good tuner should be able to make a good tune that can handle different boost levels using the stock EEC using only one tune.

the fuel and spark tables can be scaled out to accomodate loads over 100% (where stock is 90% or so)

"WOT" mode will have to be disabled. or else you will only be stuck to one WOT spark curve (there is a function for purely WOT total advance vs engine RPM), which may work great for a given boost level but be too much spark for a higher boost level.

disabling WOT will force the EEC to use the base spark tables which are references off load and RPM. (which the EEC normally uses, but usually kicks to the WOT spark table if the EEC "thinks" its WOT.

that way its just a matter of scaling your spark and fuel table out to accomodate the loads you will in fact see with your combo and boost level.

for ex you could run say a max of 15 psi, which for example may show up as 170% load in a datalog.

having fuel and spark tables scaled up to 170% will cover you at that boost level. say you want to run off the wastegate which for example may be a 8 psi spring, this may only show up as 130% load, since your tables are scaled to 170% your covered there also. and then its just a matter of finding the best fuel and spark values for those load values.

AFAIK, ford EEC never have referenced off boost so we have to work off of load. which works fine, but i would imagine any aftermarket standalone EFI system would be able to reference fuel enrichment and spark retard off of boost pressure, which would make things far simpler. i have never worked with a standalone system, so i am not sure.

14. turbo timmy

holy crap u sure know ur stuff :bow: thanks for the info :2thumbs: