1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

AEM series 2 or FAST classic?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by SvrdRam, Mar 21, 2010.

1. SvrdRam

hey guys, Im looking at buying a ECM for my 91lx. The cars just about done but not sure what to run for an ECU. Its a 408w with twin 67s. I have a set of LS coil packs but not sure if I should run them or jus go with a standard Dist. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks, John

2. blacksaleen95

series 2 mustang box isn't out yet, not saying you couldn't get one of the other series 2 boxes to work. The "older" aem will work fine with the coils, epm or crank trigger.

3. TurboNova

Fast Classic for sure

4. SvrdRam

Dont need the mustang box. My buddy is a AEM dealer and said all the boxes are the same inside just with different PIN connectors. He waa gonna sell me a Civic box since its the cheapest and has all the same options as a mustang box with enough PINs for my appilication, he also has a Civic harness he'll give me. I'll just have to build my on harness but considering how basic my car is that wouldnt be a problem.

5. David88vert

How old is the harness in your car (mileage)? If it is low mileage, and you plan on running mostly stock sensor, then the AEM might be the right choice. If you have a high mileage harness, or using mostly aftermarket sensor, it kind of defeats the AEM's plug-n-play. I would learn towards the Fast then.
    In both cases, I am assuming that you are doing the tuning yourself though. If you are not tuning it yourself, and plan to pay someone to tune, then I would suggest that you ask your tuner what he is familiar with, and what he feels you will have the best success with. It might be something completely different.

6. SvrdRam

I currently have no harness. I can get all the needed connectors for a steal from a buddy at Kingsler. The reason for running the Civic box is that all the AEM uints have 99% the same hardware inside just set up with the different wiring harness conectors. I have the plug off of a Civic which I would then build my new harness. As far as the tuning aspect, I have no experince with it but the friend who is the AEM dealer does Import work, turbo systems and tuning (he has a 1200 turbo'd Civic as his toy which he built himself) and another friend who I was to race with is big into the FAST systems. So its jus a matter of who has the better system for the price. The nice thing about running the AEM is that I can run the LS coil packs and their EPM to clean up the engine bay.

7. blacksaleen95

imo, there's much more flexiblity with the aem, and the software is a ton better than the fast stuff. Just my .02

8. 92whitelx

I like the AEM and it offer s alot of cool options, plus running the epm and ls1 coils makes the car run like a dream. I have had no problems out of my setup

9. SvrdRam

how did u end up mountin ur coils? Also what was worryin me was the lack of any real high horsepower cars ruunnin the AEM units, atleast that i knew of.

10. LowBoostinT76

Bob Kurgan used to run an AEM.
    There are lots of high power cars running the AEM, might have to look outside the mustang community.
    Martin at AMS is factory trained for AEM, he is a great tuner and knows the system very well.
    Also as I said Kurgan has ran it and tuned it on mustangs and he can be of help too, they both are very nice helpful guys.

11. SvrdRam

Yea, sounds like Im gonna go the AEM route