1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Does the Gen7+ have the ability to run coil packs?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by rick90lx, May 3, 2009.

1. rick90lx

I'm setting the engine in my car this week and putting the dfi in place. Initially I was going to use my TFI distributer, then changed to the dual sync distributer and a buddy of mine mentioned I should look into a coil pack setup. I told him I wasn't even sure if the Gen7 could run them. I don't currently have a crank trigger, but I thought maybe I could use the dual sync in that arrangement if it would work. Thanks,
    Rick

2. Maximumrisk

subscribing

3. jmstekguy

guys have ran them with the edis stradegy, using a edis8 module out of a thunderbird (oem) , i personally have many issues with the cop's (oem ones, msd), talking to quite a few tuners and techs and job spetter (reknown accel tuner), they all seem to recommend a huge single coil & dizzy for consistency and being able to run a larger gap with bigger injectors to reduce fouling on plugs, lots of guys have ran dizzys for high rpm use and seems to work , i personally dont see the point of the cop set up and it being so hit and miss. imo

4. my8950

+1
    Coil packs are somewhat cool, and a little more up to date, however the distributor works fine on plenty of cars, is less components, less cost, and less to fail....

5. Millhouse

Actually, for quite a few of us it is actually cheaper to go with a COP setup using ls2/truck coils (I just got mine in the mail) than a comparatively "Hot" aftermarket box/coil & dizzy setup.. Hell, they are using them in vehicles making upwards of 1500 horsepower and more....reliably!

6. 5.0calypso93lx

Haha, do it Rick!!

7. jmstekguy

like i said, its hit or miss, if it works for you great, im just giving my opinion on how reliable it was for me, lol

8. Millhouse

I'm just curious, what were the problems you were having? Was it a problem with the coils themsevles, or with the setup with your particular application?

9. jmstekguy

where do i start...