1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

AEM injector firing order 302 instead of 351??

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by robertc68, Nov 5, 2016.

1. robertc68

I am looking for some help on changing injector firing order.My AEM is setup for 351 firing order but I need it to be a firing order.Inhave heard I need to do something regarding injector phasing.Can anyone shed some light on this for me please... thanks

2. Disney Lincoln

What firing order is the cam you have now? the late model 5.0 is 351W firing order.

3. robertc68

Lol,I guess it would help know that.I have a 302 cam( 1,5,4,2,6,3,7,8 ) firing order.

4. Disney Lincoln

You will have to re-pin the harness. Switch 3 <-> 5 and 7 <-> 4.

5. robertc68

I have thought of that too,but was told it would cause other issues.

6. Disney Lincoln

Been a while since I tuned an AEM and I don't have my tuning laptop in front of me. If you dig around in the software, I think AEM has the ability to change injector firing order. If you can't find it, i'll try to look and see if I can.

7. robertc68

Man ,I appreciate you helping me out.I will look around in the software more.Heopfully something is there.I hope I can get this thing running after nearly 10 years.

8. robertc68

Ok I was able to look at the software.I did see and injector sequence tab .I thought it bough up a screen that talks about tooth gears etc,which I guess is referring to the distributor gear.

9. Disney Lincoln

Yes, that's what I found also. You just need to switch the degrees on the cylinders you need to swap.

10. robertc68

So we know it's cylinders 3/5 and 7/4,but need to figure out what number make things change.I have also heard it won't matter so much because I will be using a wide band sensors and the original 02 sensors.

11. Disney Lincoln

Right, so you count down the firing order for 13726548. Then you look at the angles for 3/5 and switch those and 4/7 and switch those. Viola, firing order changed in ECU.

12. robertc68

Alright ,I will give it a shot and let you know.Thanks for the help.

13. robertc68

One other question, is it true that the values will only be seen when hooked to the ECU?
    I have only been looking at the settings without it being hooked to the ECU,as I am trying to learn about the various functions.

14. Disney Lincoln

No, you don't have to be online to see the settings.

15. robertc68

I still have not done this but getting really close.I guess my question is yes I can see where the setting gets changed offline.So once I hook the ECU to my laptop and the rotor is synced,the number values should show ?Currently not being hooked to the ECU values show zero which makes sense.I think I pretty much understand what you are saying,just want to be sure I am thinking correctly.

16. robertc68

Ok so I was able to finally hook my laptop to the ECU and I can see values.Looking at the software ,does tooth number follow the firing order as in tooth 1 is firing order one,tooth 2 firing 3 ,tooth3 firing 7 and so on?

17. Disney Lincoln

Yes. That is correct. 13726548 now and you want 15426378. So you change the values between 3/5 and 4/7.

18. robertc68

Thanks man.I really appreciate ur help.I have not attempted to start the car,been working on this on and off for 12 years,so it's finally time.

19. Disney Lincoln

My pleasure. Hope it goes well!

20. robertc68

Well I have one more.Do you know how to change the ECU 02 sensor wizard to show reading gasoline instead of methanol?
    When I open the table AFR numbers line up as reading for methanol.I just can't see where or how to change it. Thanks