1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

AEM, Fast or Big Stuff 3

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Sadistic 347, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Sadistic 347

How do you guys like these tuning/engine management systems. What are the pros and cons of each one. Also some personal experience with how easy it is to tune, installation procedure & completeness of kit? Also, if you have any of these is there anything you would change about it? Thanks.

2. 1sik50

I'm pretty sure Trent did a whole writeup on a whole bunch of management systems... If you cant find let me know and i will show you.

3. Sadistic 347

My bad, I'll search again.

4. Toma

Fast - rock solid
    AEM - nice software, quirky, does "too much"
    BS3 - strange wiring, lousy instructions, slow tech support

5. knkfiend

6. ShaneH

What?!?!?!?!  Strange wiring?  I don't get that.  It's easy as can be. In fact, it's almost identical to FAST. And lousy instructions?  The things got a wonderful manual.  It tells everything about it. John Meany hit a home run with the manual and it sets the BS3 apart from the other FI systems, IMO.  It's something we wished FAST would have done years ago. BS3 also has the best injector drivers available, comparable to Motec's and much better than FAST or AEM's, and as such you can idle a car MUCH better. You also use less fuel because of those drivers.

7. Toma

I cant remember it all.... but for one... where did it say in the datalog instructions that the logger trip wire also activates the boost retard?  Really had us scratching our heads for a bit....

The crank trigger instruction were lacking.... I had to ask here as BS was not answering phones for 2-3 days lol

And for whatever reason, the 2 step will not work... had to use the MSD one...

I noticed the idle... Derek went from the Tec3 to the BS3 and it idled WAY better.  I was not aware the BS3 was the quality of the Motec... the injector control on the Motec is wicked.

In all, it does work extremely well.  To make fuel tuning faster, I tend to like to see the fuel table as raw injector pulsewidth, and you cant with BS3, but that is minor.

8. Chad89GT

Logger trip wire? My logger activates based on TPS. I don't recall seeing a wire to start logging. Then again, I have the base system and not internal data logging.

Which boost retard are you refering to? Starting Line or Staged Boost timing tables?

9. Don Bailey

Pin A on the boost controller wiring harness is the trigger for the internal datalogger. All the boxes have this. It records 18 seconds of data. The TPS trigger is for using a laptop to record.

10. Don Bailey

Toma,

I spoke with John and Joe Meaney at length at PRI about having a PW toggle switch. They both said no problem and it would be part of the next update. For the mean time I do this, with the file off-line flip it into Alpha-N and look at the PW values that way.

11. Sadistic 347

I currently have a LM1-Wideband. I was wondering if I went with the AEM system should I get rid of this or should I keep it? Also, I am currently running a Anderson PMS, but it is for a supercharged car. When I switch to turbo should I dump this for the AEM? I don't see too many people using anderson with turbo vehicles.

12. Chad89GT

Are you sure it's *ALL* boxes? My understanding was that the internal data logging is "optional" and only included on the DAI boxes. Mine is a "base" box w/o DAI. If you think mine has it I'll add a wire to Pin A to see what it does. Currently I'm only using pins B and C to control solenoids in PWM mode.

13. Don Bailey

The BS3 004002 is the least expensive of the boxes and it has it.

14. Enginerd

I've found the BS3 to be a great system with a pretty detailed instruction manual. There are however some things that need to be added to the manual, such as fuel pump wiring. Also, it doesn't tell you, but the built-in 2 step only works with coil-on-plug applications. Why this is, I don't know. I had to use the 2 step on the ignition box instead.

Rob

15. Toma

Seriosuly? LOL well WTF... yeah, no kidding it doesn't tell you that. Are you sure that is has to be COP? sounds silly to me....

OHHHHH yeah, what's with the fuel pump wiring? Ours didn't work well...seemed to kick out partial voltage or something sometimes, had to go off a switch instead... Forgot all about that... you could totally tell with the sound of the pump. It was so weird cause we went through a relay... luckily we were on the dyno....might of lost a motor otherwise....

16. Enginerd

I screwed around with the 2 step but couldn't get it to work. Called John and asked what I was doing wrong. He informed me that it's only for coil-on-plug. I figured out the pump wiring on my own. Got a diagram if you need it. It works fine once you get it wired correctly.

Rob

17. Chad89GT

Interesting. I'll check the p/n on my box tonight (it was the least expensive one I could find) :D

18. Chad89GT

P/N on my box is BS3-004-001. No DAI, and it's set up for IPU.

19. ShaneH

One interesting thing is that John can also do a 2nd 2 step with the cop applications too. So you can slave one 2 step to the brake pedal for bumping into the beams while staging, and a 2nd 2 step to the transbrake for the launch.

The COP app looks to be pretty trick. They made right at 1500hp with Jim Cushman's 4v turbo motor using the cop setup and easily turned 8600rpm.

20. LowBoostinT76

Could you please post this diagram for the fuel pump wiring, thanks
    Chris