1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1/4 mile times need info

Discussion in 'Carburetor + Boost Tech Questions' started by allmotor65stang, Jan 20, 2007.

1. allmotor65stang

well as u guys know i have a 347 setup with a novi 1000 at 5psi...
    well my problem is that when i had it setup allmotor i ran a 11.5 at 119 with a 1.6 60foot...
    novi 1000 setup at 5 psi i ran a 11.3 was my best with a little clutch slip in 2nd,...MPH was 122 that was my best MPH....

What im trying to get at is thats my CAM a 534 534 lift and 292 292 at 50 its 242 242..and its a flat tap cam..with edelbrock performer heads with 2.02 1.60 valves... now im in need of a turbo or blower cam because im sure that is my problem..what do u guys think...also im on a 4 speed setup with 4.11 gears and at the end of the 1/4 im at 6200...i have vides ill try to post some up a little later..

2. boner

does the car feel a whole lot faster? sometimes (most of the time) the dragstrip isnt prepped worth a shit for the friday night deal, and if youre getting wheelspin that can barely be felt halfway down the track, itll kill your mph. dont let a timeslip fool ya, if the feels a whole lot faster, then it is. the run on all motor mightve been on a well prepped track for some reason.

3. allmotor65stang

well the track was preped good if i can pull a 1.5 60foot in my car..it was a good day today saturday not a friday...im still thinking its my cam setup way to much duration i think for a blower...

4. boner

i would agree with you then. did you dyno the car after the install?

5. allmotor65stang

yes allmotor 345hp and 300 somethin trq and now i made 505hp and high 400somethin trq i have to look at the dyno sheet again..

i have the video on my comp now but how do i upload it..its under windows media player how do i do it...

6. jt351

did you run the same timing at the track or were you more conservative??, Sounds like the engine either lost a lot of compression or you had a heck of a lot of tire spin to only gain 3 mph and a 150 hp gain. Duaration has nothiong to do with blower or NA its the overlap that is important. And if you had a lot of overlap, than your boost number would show it being low. For esample my buddy with s-trim went from a anderson N4 cam to a B4 cam he gained 3 psi of boost, in acualtity he wasn't blowin it out his tailpipe in the overlap therefore his increase in boost, yet on the dyno not much was gained, because of increased boost the more timing had to be pulled, which is where the power is at!! Blowers are not quite as sensitive as turbo cars are because blowers do not have the backpressure as turbo cars do, SO what I ams sayin don't expect to put in a cam and gain a half second. I am sure other will agree.

7. boner

i agree with this will agree, but there will be gain, dont know how much...... just depends on if the cam likes the rest of the motor. you made alot more power, so id have to say wheelspin, because you gained no mph. what kinda tires you got on the back of this thing?

8. allmotor65stang

well timing is at 18* and 2* retard for every pound of boost cause 10.5.1 comp....

9. Mike Gager

what rpm do you shift at?

10. allmotor65stang

maybe its my gearing because im going thru the traps at 62 6300 rpm..411gears and 4speed.

11. Mike Gager

right thats where im going with the question i posted above, what is your shift point? if you are shifting at 5500 but going through the traps at 6200 thats likely your problem however with that cam you should be shifting pretty high so i dont think thats it

also your timing is probably so low with that retard on there its lucky it runs at all. put some good gas in it and do away with that retard. im assuming you have it locked out at 18 degrees total so with the 10 degrees of retard your looking at 8 degrees total timing. did you have the same timing set up at the dyno????

if so then it has to be something else you made 500+ rwhp you should be in the low 10s @ close to 130 with no effort

12. allmotor65stang

well im shifting at 6400 i put the msd pill rev limit at 6500..at the dyno same setup no change...

18* i dont have it locked i have the msd blue or black springs in and the bigger bushing in there...

this probley goes back to all my other posts with my 650 demo bt carb jets at 75and 99 with .94 pvcr...

when i hit 4th gear it feals like it dosent pull for acouple sec then it starts pullin...

13. allmotor65stang

try that theres a pass not that good lil clutch slip and 4th didnt seam to hit hard..

i was thinking maybe a 125+mph but that didnt happen..\

also im on some DOT slicks 27-10.5-15

14. Mike Gager

yeah i dont get it you are making the power and putting it to the wheels. what was your 1/8th mile time and mph on your best blower runs? something amiss on the tiop end of the track

have you watched your fuel pressure in high gear?

15. allmotor65stang

no i never had a chance to but i did see my fuel psi gauge during a burn out and i saw 15psi..base psi is 8..

what can i change on the carb to richen it up top end i did noticed when i pulled a plug at the end of a run it was tan and it looked like it detnated a little..had acouple spots on plug..what should i do with the IDLE AIR BLEEDS PRI: IDLE AIR BLEEDS SEC: H.S. AIR BLEEDS:

but all i know is 4th is the gear where it feals like it dosent pull like it should..my mph at the 1/8 was 93 have to bouble check the et but 93 was the mph at the 1/8....

16. jt351

Don't touch your idle air bleeds, that all they are for, idle, I would try reducing your H.S. air bleeds that will richen it up on the top end, first try just the primary side then then secondary side, by making the HS air bleeds smaller it will make it pull more fuel, depending on the dyno it may not put the same real world load as it does in high gear on the track, also do you have jet extensions in the rear bowl, I'm sure you do.

17. allmotor65stang

no i dont should i try some jet extensions in the rear bowls...would that help

18. jt351

Hell yeah, That would be the main difference between dyno and real world, In the real world fuel is being pulled staight back to the back of the car and uncovering the rear jets, So it won't matter how big of jets you got back there. I run the metal steel tube type that pushes on the jets, not only does it get fuel further back it gets it even lower in the bowl than the jet extenders. and don't usually mess with floats as much, but you should also get the real float as nothed for jet extensins, I think summit sells it as a kit, 2 jet extensions and a notched float. It also seems like you are taking out a lot of timing, but if you are detonating it can be either fuel or ignition. Also where are you referencing the timing retard off of, before or after the carb?

19. allmotor65stang

well im gonna have to try the jet extensions then ..

well for timing i have a vac advance dis..but i pluged it off..im pulling timing from the carb plate with the retard unit...

and also my jets are like 75 and 99...maybe i do need the extension...

20. Mike Gager

kind of where i was going with the fuel pressure, thought maybe your pump wasnt able to keep up with the g forces going down the track