1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Advice needed for remote turbo set-up.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Fishtail, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Fishtail

Greetings!

Newbie here, this is my first post, so I thought I'd give you a brief introduction followed by advice needed. I'll try to keep it short as not to bore you all.

I have a 1996 Ford Econoline E350 with a 460 lump in it (profile pic) I've always had a passion for big blocks and have done numerous projects in the past. I'm not by any means a professional, but I do know my way around an engine. Born and bred in London, I now find myself living in Uzbekistan of all places, which is where I found this Econoline, been here for 9 years and it's the only American motor I've seen out here, let alone up for sale, so I grabbed it.

Anyway enough of that here's the deal.. This Econoline is a project for my young son and me. I am looking to install a remote Turbo. I am starting from scratch and have no knowledge of Turbos at all. It's just something I never dealt with before. I only know the absolute basics. I have researched what I can online and watched countless Youtube videos, but no one seems to have done this conversion before on an Econoline.

And I can understand why, things are pretty damn tight under the hood, In fact, everywhere is tight. There is however good clearance under the vehicle, which is why I have chosen to use a remote location. The stock manifolds, downpipes, and driver's side cross-over pipe seem to lead to a promising looking location for a turbo (see attachment).

All the fabrication work (pipes, oil lines, etc) I can take care of. But I don't even know what turbo I should consider and what intercooler would be appropriate. So here are a couple of questions I need answers for, If anyone would be kind enough to answer.

1.) What Turbo and Intercooler (size) would be suitable for a Stock 460 engine. I'm not trying to make a getaway vehicle, just a bit more power would be nice.

2.) I could do with a list of components that are also needed, such as additional fuel parts, bigger injectors etc, and if someone could explain to me or send me a link on how this all tally's up to the ECU, that would be great.

With this information, I can at least start hunting for these parts, I'm sure there will be more questions in the future.

Thank you all in advance.

turbo1.jpg #ad

2. B E N

s475/knock off would work fine on it but they are big turbos. Garret gt4720, also big. You may need to consider twins, just to get smaller turbos. There are a few 460 builds in the build section.

Fishtail likes this.
  3. Fishtail

Hi Ben, Thanks for the reply and info. I'll look into your suggestions. I don't mind having a single big turbo, there's plenty of room for that. Plus I'd rather keep the workload to a minimum, from what I understand twin setups are a bit more involved, If I can get away with hooking up a single, I'll probably go with that.

Anyway, Thanks again.