1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

advancing the cam

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Getblown, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Getblown

Currently my cam doesn't come on too power until 4000 rpm. It is a nitrous grind with .550 and .560 lift and 290 duration. Before with a bottle it would pull easily to 7000 rpm. Now with the turbo however it doesn't start pulling until 3000 and I can't punch it under 3000 without causing a single hard pop. The timing is set at 8 deg with 22 deg of mech advance. I am using a torker intake and BG 650. The fuel pressure is set at 10 psi for now and 5-8 psi of boost. Would advancing the cam help, by bring the powercurve down, and how far down would it bring the curve? Any ideas would be helpful.

2. turbotbirds

I think advancing a cam 2 degree's moves the power band down 400rpm ( I think). I talked to a cam company a few years ago about it and I think thats close. What rpm do you have full boost at? Mine pops and stumbles before I have full boost. I have to ease into the throttle until I have some positive manifold pressure. I don't think advancing the cam will help much, but I could be wrong. I have never tried it on a turbo car.

John

3. TwinTrouble

I believe it is 4 degrees advanced will bring the powerband 200rpm down...but maby it was 2 degrees, ill have too check when i get back at school...

Shaun