1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

advancing a cam help spool time

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by rdakota340, Jul 2, 2007.

1. rdakota340

i was just looking at some of guys spec sheets on here and seen some them say on there cams read advanced on them!is this way are there other factors!

2. ShaneH

A lot of cams have 4 degrees of advance built into them. Advancing a cam helps some, but usually in only a small window. If you need 150-200 more rpm on the converter you might be ok. But if you need 4-500rpm, no amount of advancing the cam will help.

3. rdakota340

thanks alot for the reply!

4. engineermike

I was having big problems getting my car off the line, so I increased the crank stroke from 3.50 to 3.75 (knowing the new cid wouldn't match the turbo as well) and advanced the cam 4 deg. I went from 10.40 at 143 mph to 9.9 at 146. I don't know if it spools any quicker, but the low-end torque before the turbo kicks in is much improved. I got a 1.6 60' leaving under vacuum.

Mike

5. rdakota340

thanks i am going to try 4% advance i beleive !!!