1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

SSD owners

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by Drac0nic, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Drac0nic

Just wanted to say before you put any data on a newly bought SSD, be sure to check for firmware updates. I got a new OCZ SSD and was like "this isn't so great" until I started reading the reviews and found out that there was a huge firmware update for it. Long story short, it pretty much doubled my writes. This thing is blazing fast now, I am amazed. It is a total night and day difference. Just something I wouldn't have normally thought of being a disk and all. I ended up having to back my data up, blowing it away during the FW upgrade and restoring it but it was so worth it.

2. stangman9897

English please. :noidea:

3. Hemann

What size and model did you get? Are you using it just for the operating system?

4. BreakDancer

WTF is this thread about??

5. Agent86

I didnt want to take the riskon an ocz ssd, given the fiddly nature of the controller.

My crucial m4 isnt quite as fast, but its flawless.

Looking forward to when the things get cheap per gb like rotary storage.

6. Drac0nic

OCZ Vertex 4 128GB, I'm using it for a bunch of database virtual machines. The fact I'm getting half the IOwait now when I create a database is nothing but flat out awesome. I got a steal on 2 more I'm probably tossing in. If/when I have to re-install the OS again it's going on the other half of this one. My OS is on a RAID1 of some Hitatchi 500G drives. Not the fastest but good protection. I just can't believe how radical of a difference it is between the upgrade and not upgraded. They've changed Linux and/or since I'm using SuSE instead of RHEL now the disk setup is a lot more convoluted so it would make it more of a pain to transition my OS to the SSD. The cool thing is I can leave my user data alone and blow away the OS without a ton of trouble.

7. MONTEGOD7SS

I'm a huge SSD guy, and right now I'm typing away on my laptop that I just put one into yesterday! My desktop has a Samsung 830 256GB and that thing flat out rips! This new one I got for my laptop is a cheap Crucial V4 128GB, and I'm not as impressed with it. Work buys all my shit for me, so I'll have them get me another Samsung for my laptop and use this Crucial just for my Minecraft server or something else that can use the IOPS.

8. stangman9897

No shit, is a SSD anything like a STD.

9. PrecisionTurboMustang

I think its a solid state drive? Like a hardrive without moving parts like a usb thumb drive. Supposed to be fast and more reliable.

10. skip

I think I'm still a little confused!!!

I didn't even know stuff moved in a hardrive.

11. Mr. Dew

I have 2 OCZ SSDs setup in RAID 0. I did the firmware update. Its just stupid how fast it is compared to my old one.

Q6600 Quad-Core overclocked 3.1 Ghz
    EVGA 790i FTW edition motherboard
    2 EVGA Nvidia 9800 graphics cards (have room for a third, but why?)
    16 Gigs of RAM
    Ultra brand full ATX tower and power supply (Made in the USA and kick ass parts) with a Motherboard tray and modular cabling for the PS.
    Cooler Master Fan with about $40 of copper on it. HAHA.
    2 24" Samsung monitors

I can play skyrim at full res on one screen and watch the avengers on Blu-Ray on the other at the same time and it runs like a champ. Not bad for $750 and I built it myself. I run Win 7- 64 bit. It's a BAMF.

12. MONTEGOD7SS

You run Win7 with 9800s? Why? You need to get in DirectX 11 age and one $200 card will kick this shit out of those SLI 9800s. Also, being in RAID you aren't getting TRIM support for your SSDs, so I'd keep them as empty as you possibly can.

13. Mr. Dew

Because I used to run Win XP 32-bit but it wouldn't support all my RAM. I started with 4 Gb of ram because I knew it would only recognize 3.2 or something like that running a 32-bit basic Win XP. So I got more RAM and Win7 because I hated Vista. What I have now is stupid fast just the way it is and does everything I want it to do. In a few years when it can no longer handle what I want it to do and all my games wont run the way I want them to I will consider an upgrade.... But more than like will just tear it apart and get a new barebones kit or whatever and start over. Could I spend hours and dollars to make this as fast as it possibly could be.... Yep. But I would rather sit here and enjoy what I have. Its all silly anyways because I have all this gear and to be honest I hardly use it. I spend 99% of the time either on my laptop or play games on Xbox.

14. MONTEGOD7SS

I am pretty much a $200/component sorta guy. $200 each for processor, motherboard, and video card, and RAM is cheap enough nowadays that you can't hardly even spend $200 on it. My gaming PC now is my "work" PC that they gave me for working from home, and then I had them buy me 16GB of RAM and put in my GTS450 video card. It runs great with the i3 2100 processor, and while definitely not high end, I have a grand total of $79 in it for the video card I bought a year and a half ago on a great sale.

15. Agent86

I think im around 2k for my box alone.

Water cooling and crossfire nullified any affordability. Lol