1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Adjustable rear shocks? Fox Body, Team Z rear, Stock Springs

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by Turbofox89, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Turbofox89

Hey guys, when it comes to suspension stuff I have no idea what i'm doing. So anything would be help full. I had some problems getting the car to hook up before and now I've added another 250RWHP to the car, and starting to gear up for the spring. My question is, will adjustable shocks in the rear help at all, or does the rest of the suspension or something else need to be tweaked/changed first instead? I'll give as much info as I can so if there is to much or to little info i'm sorry! If you need to know anything else about the car also let me know and i'll find out what I can.

Current Setup For The Rear:
    - 31 spline axles, still 4 lug
    - Mechanical locker
    - Current gears are 3.27's but going to be putting 2.73's in over the winter
    - Battle boxes
    - Team Z, uppers, lowers, and anti-roll bar
    - Stock 89 GT springs uncut
    - Lakewood 50/50 shocks
    - 28" x 9" slicks

Current Front Setup:
    - Cut trick spring drag springs (1/2 coil)
    - Lakewood 90/10 struts
    - Everything else is stock

Motor/Trans:
    - R Block 332
    - Borg Warner S480, T6 with the 96mm exhaust and 1.32 AR
    - TH400 with Brake
    - Tight 4K stall
    - Manual valve body
    - Thicker custom drive shaft
    - Car made 716 to the tires with the above setup
    - Weight is around 33XXlbs

Any help would be great, thanks guys!

2. dj94gt

Do you have a set of Team z Lower control arm mounts? The IC relocation brackets? You may look at those to get the Instant Center better. Also double adjustable shocks/struts can make a drastic improvement

3. Turbofox89

Unfortunately I only have the team Z uppers and anti-roll bar. I currently have the south side lift bars as lowers. Do you think those are hurting more then helping with the Team-z stuff?

Also, what are IC relocation brackets?

4. yellowpony

At your power level throw the ss machines in the trash and put some team z's on there. You will see an improvement in 60', ask me how I know.

Anthony

5. Turbofox89

Yeah, I had wondered about that before as well. I had picked em up "cheap" before anything else was done to the car and I have a feeling they never really did anything to help.

6. yellowpony

What track do you race at? I see you are in PA.

Anthony

7. Turbofox89

We usually try and head over to Maple Grove (about 40min west from me) but sometimes Atco or E-town if needed. I like the grove though more then the rest, that and Cecil County in MD, those are my 2 favorites.

8. yellowpony

Cool, i love atco! I live about 20 minutes from cecil so i head there if i just want to make some passes. If you head out to one of them let me know!

Anthony

9. Turbofox89

That's awesome! I wish I was that close!

10. boo00st

Ryan put a decent d/a lower and switch to coilovers. Its so much nicer and easier. And isn't ally that hard. Send me a text I lost your number and I can send ya pics I'm in the middle of doing it rightnow just finished the mini tubs

11. Turbofox89

PM Sent with my number man, I was going to toss a set of Team-Z lowers on this winter. Prob not going to do the coil overs yet, it seems like people have good luck with the stock springs in the back. But I have a feeling i'll need to add the rear adj shocks as well. The $ keeps going up :( lol

12. dj94gt

Dave (Team Z) had a video a while back doing a rear suspension install, and he suggested cutting 1/2 or a full coil off the stock rear springs. pair those with his da lowers, i/c brackets, and adjustable shocks. You should be able to tune the suspension in, and improve your times.

13. Turbofox89

I had watched that quick yesterday. I wonder if you need to cut the spring for sure or not. I'm a little worried about tire rub with the 28" slicks.. Although I guess I could try a set of 27" tires again and see if the cut springs are still ok... It just seems that anything short of the 28" would spin... But then again that was on an "incorrect" setup as well...

14. dj94gt

That setup should work well with a shorter tire. However it may not have a high enough ride height to clear the 28's

15. 86lxnotch

ryan you got more than enough power to warrant the proper stuff, call dave up and talk with him about your setup. he will point you straight and your car will do the same. you'll wonder why you didnt do it sooner

16. Turbofox89

Going to order up a set of Team Z lowers today and get those on. at least. I'm going to keep the 50/50's out back until I make a few runs and see how it reacts. I'm sure i'll need to change them out eventually but i'm curious to see how it all does as it sits with the new lowers.

17. Rick 91GT

If your planning a mini tub wait till then and add a true coil over in the rear...youll never look back. Strange Double Adjustables...

18. Turbofox89

I'll probably never get that done. I'd like to maybe one day but that's some time away at least for now. Unless i'm forced to :angel: