1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Adjustable PV or Crutch?

Discussion in 'General Carb Tech' started by smokehouse, Jan 27, 2016.

1. smokehouse

What works better in your eyes? Bought a Quick Fuel carb and I am wondering if I should send it to CSU for a Powervalve(dont think he sells them?) or build a Crutch system myself? I know the crutch would be alot cheaper.

2. flyinhillbilly

It depends a lot in your skill level in my mind. The crutch is a proven system, and there are guys on here experimenting with other ways of opening the valve by using signals your engine already makes rather than relying on a compressor, Hobbs switch etc. the Rickracer trpv seems to be the hot setup at the moment.

3. smokehouse

His setup is pretty cool. Looks like he is only crunching one side though, is that normal?

4. flyinhillbilly

Depends on how much power you're wanting to make. I just use a front OV in mine and jet the secondaries for wot. Usually once it crack the secondaries you could measure the transition to wfo in milliseconds, lol. If I ever reach the point that jets won't allow enough fuel in I'll add a rear PV.

5. blown385

I was the one who started using turbine pressure to open the PVs , but after going to a turbo with less than 1:1 back pressure , it was unreliable .

I could have got it to work with some lower spring pressure , but I went back to onboard air and a 3way solenoid and the 7531 pressure switch .

This way I was able to keep the PV closed on the brake to build boost with lean fuel and more timing .

It was the way to go at the track .

6. blown385

What would be cool is using onboard air a 3way solenoid and a PWM to control how fast or slow it ramps the pressure .

Maybe use a boost controller and use a RPM base curve . You can put exactly the pressure you want on the PV at a given RPM . :thumbsup:

7. flyinhillbilly

Now there is a cool idea. I'll quit calling that the Rickracer mod, lol. I didn't know. The truth is I probably saw it in person and was too many beers in to pay any attention. Lol.

8. blown385

I didnt mean it that way , :cheers: ........ And Im sure someone tried it before me..... lol

9. smokehouse

I'm building a HCI 5.0 with a devided ebay GT45, so I'm not sure on back pressure. Probably plenty.

10. M&M Turbochargers

If it has the 77/88mm turbine I bet not as much as you think