1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Adding 9 inch ends to 8.8 ?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by Mean50, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Mean50

I plan on narrowing my rear end three inches on each side and plan on using 10in wheels with 4.5 in backspacing that way the tires/wheels will be in enough i won't have to roll the outer lip. My question is if i want to put 9 in ends on it, do i just measure the nine inch from the axle to the end of the housing, and measure the 8.8 the same, then figure out the difference. Another question, if i figure this out with stock axles, will aftermarket axles change anything?

2. the todd

you just take off the length of the 9" end of your choice(I used strange and were about 1.3" long). When I did mine I mounted tires on the wheels and stuffed them under the car on blocks of wood to determine the look/clearance I wanted. With the wheels leveled I measured the distance between the back of the wheels, then just subtract the hat thickness, axle offset, and 9" end length from the original axle flange to flange length to get your new axle width. Once you have that done you can measure for axles.

FWIW I narrowed the entire length by 3" and put 28X10s on 15X12 draglites with 7.5" offset, no frame notching and plenty of clearance for that tire.

3. Mean50

can factory nine inch ends be used to do you have to buy aftermarket?

4. Jake

Use whatever ends will accomidate your brake and axle package. If you want to use your stock 8.8 brakes but have the upgraded 9" bearing then you can use the Strange H-1138 ends. If not then pick you out what will fit your package.

5. Mean50

does anyone know how much those strange ends are?

6. Jake

70 bucks.

7. Mean50

i have a nine inch housing, i guess i just need to decide whether or not to use those ends or buy new ones. my main reason for the swap to 9 inch is so that i won't have to fool with c-clip eliminators.

8. PONTIAC SLEEPER

Check the Other Tech questions in the fourm. There is a post about this titled 8.8 stock brakes with big bearing 9" ends

9. ShaneH

If you're going to use aftermarket brakes, use the Big Ford ends, as there are far more bracket's available for those than the small ford housing ends.

10. jayman306

but i think that was for a sn95 body style with rear disks

so i could use my factory drums with that part number

11. Jake

Yes, the Strange H-1138's will allow you to reuse your stock 8.8 drum setup given that you order your axles with the correct hub offset for the drums. Also you will need to enlarge the opening for the bearing to slide thru in your drum backing plate. I also highly suggest getting the access hole drilled in your axles.

12. Mean50

I will probably go with the strange ends. Will the axle offset be the same as the stock axles, or can they be ordered that way?

13. PONTIAC SLEEPER

You have to specify the correct offset needed. They should know what it would be if you tell them what year and model of car it is for.

14. Jake

Exactly. :)

15. Mean50

thanks, i just didn't want to set everything up with the stock axle measurements then get screwed when i had to order new axles.

16. PONTIAC SLEEPER

Have the housing ends installed first and double check the housing measurments then call them with all the details to order the correct size axles. Make sure if you are doing it or having some one narrow it that its straight when its done. good tools go along way. You only want to put the ends on once so any mods you want to do to the housing should be done before you final weld the new ends on. Best of luck

17. Mean50

My dad has a jig to weld the housing, so it shouldn't be a problem getting it straight.

18. PONTIAC SLEEPER

Just curious was kind/brand he has??? :hmm:
    Don't forget to take pictures so every one can see what you did... :ding:

19. Mean50

the jig is hand made. My dad and a local school welding instructor made it. they have used it several times and everything has turned out good.

20. PONTIAC SLEEPER

Got any pictures???