1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

HARD to start have to hold to floor ?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by 351turbo, Apr 14, 2007.

1. 351turbo

did a injector and meter swap , tried 42# inj and Pro-M , lean at idle 17.1 a/f . swap them out and tried 48# injectors and Pro-M , will not stay running .............? any ideas

2. Toma

Generally, if you have to hold it too the floor to start it, its to rich on cranking pulse width. If on the other hand you have to turn the key on and off a couple times and THEN dire it, then it doesn't have neough crankin PW.....

Lean at idle is a different problem.... are you sure its lean? Can you rev it up and hold it at say 1700 rpm? Will it run then? Whats the AFR when you do that?

3. 351turbo

if i try turning it over , will not fire , put foot to floor starts an stalls , have to pedal it to keep it running ......

4. Toma

If you are "pumping it" to keep it running, yeah, generally thats very lean, and you are using the accel enrichment fuel to keep her going.

Why on earth it would be that far out if the MAF and injectros are matched is beyond me.... fuel pressure is holding? You dont have a bad pump or regulator by chance do ya? ..... very odd.

5. 351turbo

regulator is fine , pump fine , holds 40psi ,......................

6. 04AS

Well this is all based on my experience with my car, but just going with a "matched" MAF and injectors is a crap shoot at best. I'm guessing you already know this, but having software to manually manipulate the MAF Xfer function is how you will fix your issues.

I just went through this process getting 60# injectors to idle/run using the SCT PRP software.

FWIW.

7. 351turbo

i have a Moates flash and burn , never used it yet bing doing some research , where is a good place to start to richen things up ?

8. 04AS

I'm not familiar with the Moates software, so all this if FWIW.

While it is idling (if it _will_ idle) log and/or monitor MAF volts and your a/f. Knowing where it is running lean (assuming it is running lean) with the MAF volts will tell you where in the MAF Xfer table you need to add fuel.

For my tuning, FWIW, I found the SCT "how to" tuning DVD sold by LaSota Racing to be very helpful. The DVD goes through step-by-step how to get your MAF car to idle first, then part throttle/low load cruise and finally WOT tuning.

I know without that LaSota DVD my tuning would have been alot more trial and error. But that DVD made it pretty idiot proof.

My .02.

9. 351turbo

I have a LM-1 and i am able to datalog the MAF volt , just need to know which pin to get the readings (A_B_C_D)......... thanks p.s. the car will start idles at 17.1 A/F for 15 sec then goes to 21.1 A/F and dies. Reach in turn over starts then dies.............?

10. 04AS

You want to tap pin D.

With my SCT PRP software, if I was idling at 17.1 (which for MY car @ idle is around 1.0v) and I wanted 14.6 then I would multiply the appropriate Xfer function values around the 1.0v value by 1.2.

So if I was you, since you can't even get the car to hold an idle, is to multiply the lower half of your Xfer function by 1.2 (or more even) and see if that helps. It should get you headed in the right direction at the very least.

FWIW, my car can idle at 17a/f, so not sure why yours will not. Not that I wanted it at 17, but at one point I overcompensated when adjusting the Xfer values and that was where I ended up. Idled fine that lean... now when I first started tuning after adding the big injectors it idled at 9.5 and wasn't too happy 'bout that... my neighbors thought there was some kind of fuel spill in the neighborhood...

Kinda off topic, but I also have an LM1 and also use their RPM convertor to log MAF v, TPS, IAT, RPM and MAP. Its a great little tool and adding the other parameters makes the datalogs VERY useful If I was you I would take the time to add at least TPS and RPM to your datalogs if you really hope to dial in your tune on your own. Without those you are kinda guessing what the logs are trying to tell you (in particular you will have no idea about load). MAP would will really help show you load assuming you are turbo or s/c, but that requires an external MAP sensor.

HTH.

11. 351turbo

Would it be worth me getting an Anderson PMS , or put my car on a dyno and program my Moates chip , i can get a first generation PMS................