1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

MoTec of DFI GEN 7, Which engine management system to go with?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by yedister, Oct 22, 2004.

1. yedister

I am in the planning stage of a twin turbo project and I can't decide which sytem to go with. DFI Gen 7, I have this on a NA 434 or MoTec? I am leaning towards the MoTec because most of the turbo company all say it is a better system. Also a friend of mine has a friend that has connection in Australia with a Mo Tec dealer. He can get any MoTec system for the price that it cost over there. That price is considerable less than what is cost in the states.
    This would may it afforable, and Fast Track Performance can build the adapter harness for less than the $1,500.00 - $2,000.00 that was quoted by MoTec Systems USA. There seems to be an attitude with MoTec Systems USA that this system should be for only the elite that is why it cost so much more in the states than in other countries. The disadvantage of getting a MOTec from overseas is that I can't call MoTec Systems USA for technical help, or get it repaired if there is a problem with the unit. The technical help will have to come from other MoTec System users and MoTec via email in Australia, for repairs it would have to send back to the factory in Australia.

All comments are welcomed.
    Thanks for your assistance.

yedi

2. TurboNova

Go with FAST or BIG STUFF 3, there are alot of tuners to help out when you need help.

I have FAST and have been very happy with it.

3. yedister

The Big Stuff 3 has not proven itself as of yet. I known John Meany has it on his twin turbo vette that is pushing 1200 Hp. I am going for 2000 - 2200 Hp with a redline of 6500 RPM. I will run sequential mode 2 injectors per cylinder. I need for the Engine Management System to be able to switch for one set of injector to the other based on engine load. Also the injector timing needs to be adjustable in the smallest degree increments, MoTec offer .1 degree resolution they claim. The FAST system does not have that tunability.

Here is a little more information on this concept motor:
    468 - 482 Cubic Inch Small Block using Dart 9.325 deck height block, Brodix GB 2000 13.5 degree heads, Kinsler 3 piece intake, twin 78mm R trim turbos, either remote mounted or custom kit from Turbocharged Power. I have the block and heads already.
    I am building a car that can do 275 - 300 MPH (Not in a 1/4 mile) but yet with the boost turned down drive it across country in one of those power tour. This motor will have so much torque down low because of the cubic inches, that when driving in non boost RPM( under 2500 RPM) it will be responsive.

yedi

4. one loud 5.0

Why?

5. Joe P

Staged Injectors?

Sounds more like yedister was reffering to a staged setup so he can run smaller ( relative ) injectors to keep some drivability and have the "fire" hose injectors come in under heavy loading. Correct?

Joe P.

6. speedfreak269

dfi

i would go with the gen-7 or fast system they are both great systems i have the gen-7 with 160lb injectors and drive on the street with no problem it is awesome

7. yedister

Yes, that is correct! With staged injectors I will be able to have a good air fuel ratio for part throttle / no boost RPM. DFI has stagged injection but not the tunability to suit this engine combination. Motec offer .1 degree resolution which makes it extremely well matched for Direct Injection.

With the ECU synchronized to the engine cycle, it becomes possible to individually adjust a cylinder's ignition advance and also if the engine is full sequential, the amount of fuel which is supplied to that cylinder. MoTeC allows individual tunning of each cylinder's ignition and fuel quantity. Each cylinder has its' own individual cylinder tables which provide the tuner with the ability to vary the timing and the fueling based on RPM and Load. Variable ignition advance normally requires the use of multiple coils because it will avoid rotor-tip to cap-terminal alignment problems which may lead to spark scatter. Additionally if a single inductive type coil is used, it is possible if high fluctuations in advance occur between cylinders, that the coil does not have sufficient time to charge which leads to reduced coil output energy and possible misfire.

I just recieved CALMAP 7+ Version 4.0 software, maybe the improved capabilities has what I am looking for. Running at top end speed does not give more time for improperly tuned engine. This car will be runnuing at bonneville hopefully.

yedi

8. Paul Bird

yedister,

I too bought a grey market Motec from AU. I got it for less than a sequential FAST system. As for the merits of the Motec vs. the DFI, you will have to research this and decide but I can tell you that my M800 is one VERY nice system and the software is light years beyond any other 'off the shelf' system.

As for support, yes Motec USA is a pain to deal with. Basically they don't want to talk with any consumers directly - especially if you bought your box in AU. They want you to deal with their dealers and aren't at all trying to work with the end user.

Motec AU on the other hand is awesome to deal with. I have traded emails with them on several occasions and they are EXTREMELY knowledgeable and quick to respond.

My only advice on getting a box from AU is to get one with the options already on it. That will keep you from having to deal with Motec USA. Also, if you are not a do-it-yourselfer and are going to rely on someone else to wire and tune then you need to get what they are familiar to working with.

One last thing, if cost is a problem on the Motec I would get an AEM system and not a DFI. Actually I would get a FAST long before the DFI.

9. yedister

Paul Bird,

Why would get a FAST before a DFI? What are you running your MoTec on?

yedi

10. Paul Bird

I would choose the FAST over the DFI for three reasons: 1. It has a larger following in the Mustang community, 2. Better software (subjective) and 3. there were a number of problems reported when the gen 7 came out and I am not sure how well they were sorted out.

I am running my M800 w/dual widebands and extra memory on my AIX road race mustang. It is a 96 Cobra body car with a VTEngines built 4.6 DOHC (9.6:1 comp. Diamond pistons, forged Manley H beam rods, stock crank and stock heads + valve job) and one of the prototype Incon 4.6 twin turbo kits that I have had to heavily modified to work. The oil system is a 5 stage dry sump with two small stages scavenging the turbos. The car weighs 2700 lbs. with fluids (soon to be 2600) and will be making in the neigborhood of 500 rwhp @ 9 psi when the new motor goes in. The car also has a stretched wheelbase (104.3") and track (76" outside) and is running on 17x11 wheels with 315 road racing tires at all 4 corners.

11. Joe P

I Wish I Knew Then,

What I know now.. I have the M4 on my 4 cyl. 520rwhp SVO and think it`s the cats meow. Could I have done it with another system, sure but I think once you get exposed to MoTec`s qaulity, you`re going to find it hard to look elsewhere.

I would take Paul`s advice and get all the bells and whistles your wallet can afford, it really is a pain in the ass to go back and do things twice. BTW, I have 160`s on my car as well.

Good luck!

Joe P.

12. TRENDZ

the motec system is the best system that I have seen. A friend of mine works on a prof. race team and they use a system called EFI SYSTEMS. This stuff is for high end (F1, INDY,cart). he says they make an entry level unit that comes standard with a ton of options for around 2000 dollars. I've never used that system so I cant personally recomend it. If you really want to know how user friendly, or how many features a system has, go to thier web sites and download "sample software".... almost all manufacturers offer this. I can tell you I've used felpro(now FAST),accel dfi, accel gen7, haltecE6K, electromotive TEC2 and TEC3 . Electromotive seems like they tried to give you a motec style software, thats easier for a begginer to understand. I like and use their tec3 system on my own car(twin turbo) and on my motorcycle (turbo harley). You can use it on any engine(1,2,3,4,6,8,12 cyl odd or even fire) has true sequential injection,and includes a complete DIS ignition. The system cost is low if you compare it to other sytems with it's capabilities.(about 2200 complete) and thier tech support line is awesome. Try everybodys software before you buy!!!!

13. speedfreak269

dfi

if you want a simple system the gen-7 and fast system are both very comparable i have the gen-7 on a car that makes 650 rear wheel hp with no intercooler and has 160 lb injectors and i drive it on the street and my best friend has the fast system and he is very knowledgable at tuning and he really likes the gen-7 too so people who have never tried it are scared to use it but it is picking up with all of the car crowds and there is no problems with the system now . if you have any questions call job spetter jr he is probably the most notable tuner with both systems .he can give you the best info on both .if you go with the fast wich is a great choice determinedperformance at 434-944-9688 will give you a great deal speedfreak269

14. CWeil

The Motec system is killer and a hell of a lot less work than the DFIs, and tuning with it is much easier. DFI works really well, but it's a bitch to tune properly and generally requires a really skilled tuner. Motec, from my experience, is much more user friendly with many, many more options.

15. yedister

Thanks for all the info. I keep you informed on my progress.

yedi

16. Silvermercedes2003

Hi do u have the cd installation for the 77030 v2