1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

accel dfi wideband sensor

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by RedRocket00, Jun 9, 2010.

1. RedRocket00

has anyone had any problems with an accel wideband sensor reading a steady 17.63 in the computer and an 18.05 on the gauge? anyone know what it could be? do you think my brand new sensor went bad?

2. my8950

more then likely its broken....remove the sensor from the pipe, hold the washer and shake it, if it rattles its junk.

3. RedRocket00

There are no rattles, and the sensor does heat up. So the element is not bad. So i cleaned the end off and sprayed the tip with some brake clean, since i figured it was broken and i cant hurt it. It still reads a 17.65 solid on the logger. and an 18.05 on the gauge and does not change from there.

4. my8950

well, the sensor is probably ruined for sure now with brake cleaner on it.
    I'd call, had it ever worked? There were a lot of junk ones that got on the market...Did it ever work for you? Did you buy it new? If so, when?

5. RedRocket00

yes, i bought it brand new, and it maybe has a total of 5 mins runtime. i built a turbo kit, started the truck up for 5 mins, took it all back apart and redid the turbo kit, and now i start it up, it does not move. So, i do not know what is wrong with it. I know before, computer and the gauge were accurate with eachother. Now, they are off, so i dont know if it is the sensor or the box.

6. MONTEGOD7SS

Did you forget a ground?

7. RedRocket00

no, the box is grounded, but i will check into that

8. Turbo Terror

make sure to ground the sensor and computer at the same place preferably the battery

9. Craig Smith

The sensor doesn't have a common ground connection anywhere on it.

10. Turbo Terror

my bad I was thinking that the accells had to use a wideband controller

11. Brandon@DMI

Sounds like the sensor has gone bad. Time to replace it. I've had the same thing happen

12. RedRocket00

The sensor has no miles on it, and maybe 5 mins runtime. I hate to replace it. If i ground it to the battery and nothing changes, i am going to change the sensor.

13. Brandon@DMI

How is the sensor conected to the Dfi box? Is it a universel sensor, or is it through a DFI wide band controller / engine analyzer? I do know that the earlier versions of the engine analyzer would power the 02 heater when the main power is on even if the ignition was off. If the 02 has been powered up for extended periods of time even if the engine is not running. It will kill the O2.

14. Craig Smith

Oh, my bad too. The sensor itself doesn't have an electrical connection to common ground but an external controller such as the one Accel uses would definitely have a ground connection. And I agree that it should be grounded at the battery along with the ECM. :)

15. Turbo Terror

Ok, so the Accel does use an external controller?

16. RedRocket00

yes. the accel does use an external "box" that is grounded. i am going to try grounding it directly to the battery and see if this helps.