1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Idle Quality with FAST bank to bank???

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by 86GT, Feb 12, 2003.

1. 86GT

Just a question for those that are familiar with the FAST bank to bank system. I will either be running 55 or 65 lb injectors on my 302 single T70 setup. Has anyone had any problems with idle quality of the bank to bank or can you make it idle well? I want the car to idle like a stocker and it won't have much camshaft in it, probably something similar to an F303 in lift, maybe even less duration. I was just curious since the stock EECIV is sequential.
    Thanks
    Mike

2. Josh

From what I understand idle surge is not a problem until you surpass a 83lbs injector. So you will be fine.

3. ShaneH

With those dinky little 55s or 65s and that small a cam, you should have NO problems at all with the idle. Make sure you have plenty of voltage at idle though. That's the one thing that the FAST doesn't like. Less than 13.8v effects the idle.

4. Snipe656

Is the idle quality bad past 83s when you use a sequential? I have been led to believe thus far it is not bad.

5. 8urls1

idles fine

i run 83s and my car idles at 850 rpm with no hunt or surge what so ever.

useing a bank to bank and a 224 at .050 intake duration 221 exhaust. cam.

6. 86GT

Thanks for the replies, that's just what I wanted to hear. Shane, I know the feeling on the voltage, had some other issues with that before, so I upgraded to one of the hopped up newer model alternators and the car usually holds nearly 14 volts at idle.
    Thanks again
    Mike

7. TurboSN95

Batch fire with 72's here, bank to bank would be nice...

8. 86GT

What is the difference in the batch fire and the bank to bank? I am just getting familiar with most of this stuff and have just decided that from most of the reading I have done that the FAST bank to bank sounded like the way to go. I had almost made up my mind to buy the Western Motorsports SDS, but I really like what I have seen on the FAST stuff, plus the wide band O2 is right up my alley with no dyno for over 60 miles from me. So I decided to save some more pennies ( just alot more of them) for it instead.
    Mike

9. TurboSN95

From the best of my knowledge, batch fire is all cylinders get fuel, bank to bank is one rail, then the other rail.... sequential is each injector gets fuel one at a time.

10. 86GT

Cool, thanks again for the information. I think now that I remember reading about the batch fire deal with the Gen VII or something like that. I thing I'll be going with the bank to bank then, since now I have been reassured.
    Thanks
    Mike

11. Mustang8650

With the Gen. 7 they have sequential, batch and staggered batch...the staggered batch is "bank to bank"....just 2 names for the same thing.

Nice thing about sequential is you have control over the injector firing angle...

12. TurboSN95

I can't wait to get the Gen7 sequential!! I think i'm going to get like double the gas mileage. well, not after i hammer it.

13. 86GT

Have they ever figured out the issues yet with the wideband? I was giving serious consideration to the Gen VII, but with some of the issues that I read about, it steered me right back towards the FAST. I just would like to have the wideband for tuning with no dyno readily available to me. It is probably going to be the first of summer before I get the money together to buy the system, I am just having to save slowly to get there, so maybe by then either the new FAST will be out or the Gen VII will be straightened out. Is it possible to run a different wideband other than the Accel one, or is the problem just in general with it's inability to work properly with any wideband? Thanks again for any further replies.
    Mike

14. TurboSN95

No idea on the wbo2 issue with the Gen7, I don't think they've fixed it, but I have Job Spetter tune my car so I probably wouldn't use it anyway.

15. 86GT

Wish I was that close to someone who could tune it. The nearest dyno to me is about 65 miles away, and I have no trailer or truck to pull it with. I am good friends with Joel Greathouse, (he lives about 10 minutes from me) and he had told me that he could have me tuning the FAST in nothing flat since that is what he runs, but he isn't familiar with the Gen VII. So that kind of weighs in on me as well. He originally had Young's Performance tune his car and after the dyno session, said it was pretty easy to take right over, so he said we could just take it to the local track and tune it using the WBO2 that comes with the FAST.

16. Mustang8650

The issue with the wideband was only while under forced induction....they are coming out with a fix VERY shortly...I just got my ecu flashed to the newest and got the newest pro key software...about twice the options appeared just buy getting the pro key (a $175 "dongle" that plugs into the LPT1 port on the laptop) I love the new software and the fix for the wideband involves flashing the "brick". This brick or box plugs in between the wide band 02 sensor and the main harness...this fix will fix all wide band problems I'm told...people that have the 02 sensor already won't have to buy a new 02 sensor. Weird thing is i never had a issue with the wideband...seemed to work fine for me...but was only going up to 10psi...heard there were problems after 15psi...oh well I'll send my brick in soon anyways...noticed in the new software they have a switch for the wideband...if its mounted in the turbo no delay if mounted downstream further you select delay...must help somehow also...new software is really updated...just came out on 2/14/03

17. Snipe656

That is cool, so it will in fact just be a software update to fix the WBO2. Does the system come setup so you can flash it yourself or do you have to send the box in and have it flashed?

18. Mustang8650

It does require sending the brick in...although they are very fast there about service...when I sent my ecu into blood enterprises to get flashed I had it back in my hands in around 7-10 days...not bad...if your Gen 7 dealer doesn't take care of ya on it then you can just send it straight to DFI

19. Snipe656

Ah, well that is still cool that is is just a flash needed and not hardware. They should just setup a exchange program ;)

20. WaterPog

I'm always surprised that companies don't allow firmware flashes to be done by the customer, I can almost gurantee that they are doing it through the com port anyway so it would be very simple to enable that to happen at the end user or to offer it as part of an upgrade to the software similar to the GEN-VII pro-key deal so that you could keep the average user from screwing himself over.