1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

ACCEL DFI GEN7 HELP

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by MOPARVICK, Feb 20, 2012.

1. MOPARVICK

is there anyone in the southeast that knows this system that may be willing to help a brother out? my truck is still na (i know i know) and really isnt enough motor to warrant the dfi, but it is there, and i have issues. i have been told that the power feed to "L3" the dfi may be the problem, but im barely capable of wiring my sons wii up to the tv. I see there are a few people here on this board that seem to know this system, and i hate to ask for help being the new guy and all, but im willing to pay if it fixes my junk. reply or pm.

2. jonarotz

What is the problem you are having?

3. MOPARVICK

long long story, i will try not to make my fingers (or your eyes) bleed.

it has happened before. the laptop is an old dell, and a few months ago i had the drive replaced. when i got it back i reloaded the software, and it threw a com port error. after researching online i found that i could "change the name" of the port i was using, and it fixed it (after reinstalling the driver 30 times). well, the laptop crashed, i sent it to a friend, and he had to wipe it clean. no problem, right? :doh: i cant find the software cd, and after doing all of the public downloads, im still getting the same message. i can open the software on the machine fine, look, play, whatever. it just doesnt communicate with the ecm. i have tuning issues too, and i know about the whole issue of the "L3" power feed, but i didnt wire it up, and im NOT going back to the place that did. this may actually be PART of the problem. i got ripped off, and im just trying to recover basically.

IMG_00000108 - Copy.jpg #ad

IMG_00000109 - Copy.jpg #ad

4. dusta340

are you using a usb to serial adapter?

5. MOPARVICK

the cable i have has both. its a newer cable. i found my software cd last night, so im going to uninstall, and reinstall it when i get a chance to see if that fixes it. i doubt it will, just in hopes of not having to rip all of the wiring out :doh:

6. freeflyer

Try to uninstall the drivers to the serial port on your laptop. Then reboot the computer and try to get comms. I've had to do this with a few different laptops.

7. gt40_5.0

Do you know if this cable has a FTDI chip in it? I would try using a FTDI usb to serial cable just for the heck of it and see if it communicates.

8. TurboNova

The com cable you are using is a Accel Gen 7 cable correct? You cannot use a standard usb to serial adaptor by itself.

9. MOPARVICK

OK, yes it is the gen7 cable. i ordered the cd, and the cable together a few months ago. i got the communication back. i completely uninstalled everything that the cd loads, including the drivers, and reinstalled. its good now.

next issue. i made it better, but it still slightly misses, runs lean on cold start. im thinking its the after start fuel decay, because other than backing some timing out (the tuner put too much in it), and adding a little fuel to it at the lower ect. i would think if it were the more fuel at lower ect, then it would have done it as soon as i pulled out of the driveway like before, but it waited until i was off of my street, about 1/2-3/4 mile down the road.

it also do the whole spin over but never crank deal, then i flip the key back, try again, and it cranks, but is extremely rich. it also throws two codes. one is low voltage to tps, and the other is low voltage unspecified, which im thinking is the power feed directly to the dfi.

thoughts?

10. MOPARVICK

yeah, its not getting any better. any help or advice?

11. MOPARVICK

anyone?

12. TurboNova

Sounds like your cranking fuel, after start and warm up enrichment needs help. But mostly those are modifiers to your base VE table so if it's not right then you shouldn't be working on those.

13. MOPARVICK

i guess i just need to choke it up, and take the truck to someone who knows what they are doing.