1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Fluid Temps

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by BigDan, Jun 19, 2016.

1. BigDan

I'm back to revisiting using a turbo on my truck and what I would like to know concerns fluid types in a sealed water to air intercooler. Most use just water or water mixed with ice but, what kind of cooling effects would I have if I ran say Evans coolant alone? A 50/50 mixture of anti-freeze or a 70/30 mixture. What if I had a tank built within a tank where in the center it was the coolant then an area 3" to 4" on all side that in the summer heat could be filled with ice or a ice/saltwater mixture? I'm figuring a 3 gallon tank and I have room under the truck for an addition radiator as well.

Would the forced air charge being sent thru a carb reduce temps over a fuel injected engine?

Thank You

2. blown385

it will cool just fine with water for street boost . Just run the pump on a boost switch.

I would go bigger on the tank though . 8 gal is better , but 5 will work .

Ice at the track on big boost .

Yes air is cooled more with a carb.

3. Boost Engineer

Good answers to questions above.

I would stay away from the mixing salt with the water deal. Some people I know did that and all it really did was plug up the plumbing for very little cooling benefit.

Move volume in the inter-cooler tank = more thermal mass for the inter-cooler to reject heat into. (The water)

Ice always does a better job on a drag strip deal as you start at a lower temp before you start the run therefore the final temp at the carb/intake is also lower near the end of the run.

Tom V.

4. BigDan

thank you

5. Forcefed86

Are there contamination issues with just water? Algae or any other kinds of nasty stuff form in the water with no additives? Or is straight water the way to go?

6. blown385

the water in my tank is what ever the ice is made out of .

I drain and add ice , Ive never drained it and added tap water . So once its melted , thats the water I use .

I assume the ice is just filtered tap water because I get it from one of those Ice Island things .

Only thing Ive noticed is a slimy film on the pump , no scale or anything like that .

7. Boost Engineer

Some years ago I would have said that water out of the ground was good enough for cooling systems or inter-cooler systems.

Then a year ago I was working with a very well known university on a dyno engine program and found out otherwise.

We donated a ECOBOOST engine to the project for some specific dyno testing. They had a empty dyno cell and some individuals that
    needed a dyno project to work on.

So we created the parts required, set up the aluminum engine on the dyno and proceeded with the testing. Direction had been given to
    run University water vs running a mixture of water and antifreeze.

Two months later the engine had some severe cooling issues. So we took the engine apart and found massive "blisters" in the block water
    jacket and in the cylinder head water passages. The water was destroying the aluminum block without cooling protection or purified water.

So we built up a second engine and started over with the testing. This times we used a mixture of water and antifreeze designed for aluminum
    engine components.

So using ice water in the inter-cooler tank and just adding ice occasionally to maintain the water level was probably a better idea vs using
    untreated ground water. A water/antifreeze mixture does not quite have the cooling properties that plain water does but it might be easier on aluminum parts.

Some water obviously does not have the same ingredients combinations that other water has.

Food for thought.

Tom V.

8. Forcefed86

Not real easy to dump coolant on the ground and refill either. But I was thinking more along the lines of a "street" non-ice setup and what additives would best control the "slime".

9. Byrdman11

Wetter water is what I'm going to use.