1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

A New Drag Anti Lag System

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by AlkyV6, Dec 13, 2009.

1. AlkyV6

A major advancement in anti lag technology.
    I've discovered a new method that focuses on the use of nitrous with methanol. A combination that was thought to be useless compared to a nitrous/gasoline mix. I've found a tune that makes use of the nitrous/methanol mix in the exhaust system to provide the smoothest drag anti lag system ever.

The application where this would be most beneficial would be on a turbocharged engine burning pure methanol, using nitrous to help spool an oversized turbo. The nitrous can be paired with methanol so that a separate gasoline tank doesn't need to be installed to be used with the nitrous sytem, making the fuel system much less complicated.

meBFoNQ1Y-g[/media]]YouTube - Discovery of the Nitrous / Methanol Drag Turbo Anti Lag System

I don't plan on keeping secrets, so any questions will be answered. I'd like to see this new method put to some good use.

2. AlkyV6

3. THE358BANSH

What type of events do you run that allow two different types of power adders to be hooked up simultaneously?

4. AlkyV6

I live for the test and tune lanes. I don't believe in being restricted by any persons rules. It just keeps big discoveries like this from coming to flourish.

5. Drac0nic

Don's thread is a good read I have read it through. He is doing amazing things for the amount of converter/CID/turbo size he has. There is a lot of trial and error that has gone into what he's done, and quite honestly he caused quite a stir with a lot of naysayers on the Turbo Buick sites. That being said most of them are afraid of the bottle :)

6. 10secgoal

Mmm, like to read those threads lol.

7. AlkyV6

The number of Buick owners installing nitrous is slowly increasing. Many just keep it under wraps though. Especially the ones that aren't supposed to be using nitrous. :ahah: Class racers.

So everyone understands how this works? No questions? Or, does everyone just think I'm :stupid:

8. noturbo82

So you're basically spraying a wet shot with the additional fuel being methanol? Or is there something else I missed?

9. chevy..driver

10. AlkyV6

Anyone who has tried to use nitrous paired with methanol knows that, depending on the size of the shot, you will only yield a fraction of the hp rating of the shot as actual work in the cylinder. For this reason many people will abandon the use of nitrous with methanol and will switch to using nitrous with gasoline. The nitrous/gasonline mix will yield more work in the cylinder with far less of the system rating being lost.
    A person that is running his engine on methanol, if he plans on using nitrous to help spool a large turbo, will commonly use gasoline with the nitrous. With this comes the addition of another fuel cell, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel lines, fuel gauges, etc.
    If the same person could just use methanol with the nitrous, it would make the fuel system setup so much simpler.

Now, if you're thinking that this is simply injecting nitrous with methanol instead of gasoline, then you most likely didn't go to the link I posted earlier or you're simply not grasping the concept. As I mentioned above, nitrous with methanol is generally not the preferred combination. So what makes the system I stumbled across so different?
    Is anyone anxious to help out? I'm curious to see if anyone out there is grasping this.

11. 10secgoal

Because you got the methanol to put in as much work as the gas ?
    New to ALS all together, so It's all gibberish to me lol

12. 86merc

AlkyV6, How about a good, but brief explanation to what exactly you are doing? Might be helpful to have people understand what you are doing. Before they have to go read the 25 page thread of testing from the start to end to figure it out.

Just a thought. I will be reading the whole thread when I get off work. The first page of posts was all I was able to read at lunch.

13. AlkyV6

The process I'm trying to relay to everyone is pretty involved and I want to make sure everyone understands how it works. It's going to involve a little fuel and nitrous chemistry. With a little background knowledge I think you'll understand how bitchin this really is.

OK. I think we should start off by defining ALS and explaining how it works with the more common and well known gasoline version. The good Ol' pop and bang routine.

And, no fair :cheers: while reading or participating in this thread. I'm watching you :ahah:.

14. blown385

I'm listening . :D

15. AlkyV6

We'll first discuss the kind of als that is commonly used for drag racing. The gasoline drag turbo anti lag system.

The basic idea is to ignite a mixture of fuel and oxygen in the exhaust system and have the expanding, heated gases help to quickly spool the turbo to a higher boost level for a quicker launch.

As far as I know, the gasoline style als is commonly used on clutch and manual transmission cars. I've heard of some experimenting with automatic cars. Maybe some can add some information about that.

The procedure involves bringing the engine rpm up to an aux rev limiter (2 step) where the mixture is programmed to richen and the ignition is cut to random cylinders. The ignition timing is also retarded. How much the mixture is richened and how much ignition retard is used is something that needs to be worked out on an individual basis.
    The richer mixture causes unburned fuel to enter the exhaust system. Cutting the ignition to random cylinders causes more unburned fuel and air to enter the exhaust system. And the ignition retard causes exhaust temps to increase to better vaporize and dissociate the fuel that enters the exhaust system and will provide part of a fuel/air mix that is still burning in the cylinder when the exhaust valve opens. The burning fuel/air mix will help light off the fuel and air that is passed into the exhaust system. The heated exhaust system, when the temp is high enough, will also cause some of the mixture in the exhaust to autoignite.

This form of als is identified by very loud popping, banging and spectacular flames out the exhaust pipe that is very erratic. The action puts tremendous forces on the turbo, exhaust system and engine. Broken turbos were not uncommon when this system was first introduced.

I've heard of retarded ignition figures of 15 degrees btdc to 40 degrees atdc being used with this type of system. The amount of retard has some affect on how aggressive the system works.
    I'm not sure about the range of fuel mixture richness that's used. I've heard to start at 5% richer.

Anyone that would like to add anything at this point, please do.

Are there any questions so far?

16. chevy..driver

That type of antilag is usually only used on clutch cars. Auto cars use a combination of the correct transmission, converter, turbine, valve timing, tune up and 3/2 step to prespool and spool a drag car. It would be nice if we could use a wet shot of nitrous, but most of us can't due to class restrictions.

17. PrecisionTurboMustang

Is any of this really a "break through" if it is against rules of virtually all class racing the it would benefit?

18. AlkyV6

With the gasoline anti lag system, somehow air needs to be bypassed into the exhaust system so that it can be used to burn the fuel in the exhaust system. That is why random cylinder misfiring is done. This provides a very erratic oxygen supply to feed the als process. This in turn causes a very erratic combustion of the mixture in the exhaust system.

A very important point to keep track of throughout this thread is that the gasoline molecule does not carry with it any oxygen. Oxygen must be supplied separately in the form of air in order to have combustion of the fuel in the exhaust system.

19. AlkyV6

Rules can be changed, or one can find a racing venue where this could be used.

20. PrecisionTurboMustang

Are you injecting directly into the exhaust preturbine?