1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

A little help for an old fart.

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by Blowthru89, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Blowthru89

Ok turbo peeps, I'm starting on my "street car", as I stated before I've been racing since 1988, and as I got older my junk got faster and faster till everything was out of control and then it all came to a screeching halt.
    i stopped it all to pursue a career out of the automotive world, I was a mechanic for 22 years, from buicks in the 80's to the ford dealerships in the 90's to Porsche/BMW/Cadillac at the end of my wrench turning days.
    it would be so easy just to load my car up on my 18 foot car trailer with the rotting wood floor that's spent the last few years as a garbage sled to the waste disposal unit, and navigate up the highway to B&B race cars and let him do all the latest fancy pants stuff and eat tuna fish sandwiches and crackers because every penny I make would go straight to that cause.
    but I have two sons, that have grown up when I blinked and have been hounding me to build one more car, so they can see what all the rage is about.
    so now I have a 93 coupe that I saved from back in the day, that rests in my basement.
    i started it, never finished it, it was to be a 5.4 DOHC twin turbo street rocket, which the 5.4 still occupies the engine bay, with the hot side unfinished.
    the bridge racing billet motor plates have dis colored a tad, and the timing cover has taken on some kind of weird metallic chicken pox.
    but nevertheless I have one timed a 95 roller Windsor from a bronco that now occupies the engine stand, it will be coupled to the last turbo I own, a precision GT-42 that back in the day, was a wife beater and tormented even the nimblest cutting edge culprits on the street scene.
    i have no heads yet, but if I follow the same route I did with my last "street car", they will be TFS, if I can find a decent used set cheap.
    a competition cams extreme energy cam will bump the valve doors, because I'm trying to resist calling Jon at Bennet racing up the road to take advantage of the latest and greatest tech.

so anyhow, I've rambled enough, I always start at the rear of my cars, fuel tank and rear end and rear suspension.
    right now I lay on the floor and think to myself how I used to be able to have the 8.8 out of my cars in 45 minutes and on the workbench, I've been staring at it hanging there for a week, and it's time to get moving.
    from what I've read, and I would really enjoy you guy's opinions on this, baseline suspension is the way to go, a outlaw upper set up and the staggered lowers with team Z bracing.
    i will narrow it at least one inch, maybe two, and run a coil over set up as I will mini tub it just a wee bit, to retain my factory rear seats.
    so there it is, everyone's opinion is welcomed and appreciated, my sons will read with me, so any and all info is knowledge for them, the next gen turbo guys.
    if there's something better, then let me know, this will be a street car that will teach them to handle a little power at the red light and a little more at the track, we may go run it once or twice a month.
    so help out this old fart and show an old dog new tricks, please.

2. Blowthru89

Oh come on, all these people and nobody has any opinions?
    Strange...