1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Transmission decision

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by 94Slo-Bra, Jul 23, 2009.

1. 94Slo-Bra

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this question or if it has been addressed already, but what would you recommend for a transmission on a turbo Mustang mainly driven on the street? A manual or an automatic? Currently have a 5-spd. My initial research has found most say that with a turbo, the only way to go is with an automatic. I guess I'm not partial either way, just want to ask before I drop any $$ on parts. If I'm missing details regarding my car that would be helpful in answering this question, please let me know.

2. LowBoostinT76

Power level is a huge desiding factor for this.
    I went from manual to automatic and it was the best thing I could have done to the car. I put a full manual valve body and got a bad ass shifter for it. With the manual valve body I still have to shift every gear as there is no drive(high gear is high gear).
    So I have all the fun of shifting and certainly do no miss pushing down that heavy grabby clutch. Also with the converter I'm in boost instantly as soon as I mash the gas and no boost loss on shifts. The car is a lot faster and a lot more fun to drive.
    My experience is under 500rwhp manual is cool if you perfer, over 500whp auto all the way.

3. 94Slo-Bra

Thank you.car has a touch over 500rwhp now, but will probably see more in future with forged bottom end.anyway, my next project is too beef up the rear end and transmission.what kind of transmission did u go with?c4,c5,th400? Also, I like the idea of still manually shifting. What rpm stall would be the best fit?

4. R1ERIC

Go with a Lentech AOD, handle tonnes of power, still drive on the highway with the elec OD.

5. 88foxbody

For street use I would recomend a Lentech which will work well with 500-600hp range. The C4 is a good transmission because of having a lower first gear but not a good choice for street use though because you will need to rebuild often. I use a C4 with my setup but the car is not a daily driver it was built for NMCA / NMRA True street class. In order to find out what stall converter you need, you will need to call a good converter company like PTC, or JW performance transmission. You will need to know what cam, cubic inch, weight of car with driver ect. and be sure to tell them it is mainly street driven because there is a big difference between race use and a good daily driver converter. Also may want to consider getting a two speed powerglide because if you want to upgrade the power level you transmission will not be the weakest link and will save you alot of money in the long run. Hope this helps.... Paul

6. Renagade306

Dump the five speed. It will make all the world of difference. love my MM2 c4

Lentech AOD= street car
    C4= more of a strip car

7. went12s

My car ran at a millon degree's with the auto(c-4 PA supercomp) but at the track the thing was a beast.
    the stick seems to help the car run cooler

8. Millhouse

9. LowBoostinT76

I run a th400.
    Like I said, nobody enjoys pushing the clutch, they enjoy banging the gears, a manual valvebody auto with a nice stall converter and nice shifter on a turbo car!!! Does it get anymore fun than that?

10. davidjalb

Not to mention leaving off the brake. Try FB transmissions, i have an AOD-E from them, its rated to something like 900 hp.

11. underpsi68

X2 for Freddie Brown. I run his STB4 (AOD). The base one is rated at 900HP than he can do mods to make it hold even more. He did some more work to mine. Nothing like having your cake (strong transmission) and eating it to (OD). :)

12. 94Slo-Bra

Looks like I'm gonna be going with a 4r70w with a manual valvebody. Thanks to everyone who posted. I really appreciate the suggestions/advice.