1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

!994 S400 F150 step side build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Twiceblown351, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Twiceblown351

HI Im new here. My name it Greg. Me and my Friend started a new build here lately.
    We have a 94 F150 Step side Pick up. And a Dart 408 SBF with Brodix track 1 heads ported by M2. and a S400 T4 flange turbo.
    Were making all the Headers from SS 1 3/4 pipes. The cross over is 3" with a 4" down pipe.
    And were going to use a 4R70W Trans With a Baumann And XFI for the EFI.

We been at this for 2 or 3 mouths so there some done all ready But Im not going to throw it up here all at once.
    But here were we started.

[​IMG]#ad

This is after i toke the 302 out and cleaned the truck. After everything is built. Ill tear everything back down and paint it all.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

First thing I did was build the drivers side header.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. leeperryracing

is this just a street truck? If it is, that t4 flange may be ok for just a hot street truck that you're not gonna push real hard. If its a track truck and you wanna stay with a single on a budget, go with at least a borg warner t6 s480($800) turbo or twin t4s on a 408ci engine...one t4 turbo on that motor and you're just asking for nasty backpressure issues.

3. Twiceblown351

Hot street Truck. I got the turbo at Reed At Work turbos. It some new one that just came out. Im sure its right or he'll eat it. Hes done it before for us.

It a T4 with a 4" exhaust outlet. Its not a small turbo.

If it doesn't work right will have to change that when we get there.

4. ray0311

The turbo is BorgWarner S400SX3 83mm FMW (Billet) with Race Cover 87/81 turbine 1.25 T4 housing
    Guys are running them on fox bodies running high 8-low9 in 1320 from what I was told Bp will not be a issue I see guys with T-4 88mm turbos with no issue, I wish this was a 800.00 S-400 :'(

5. leeperryracing

A t4 turbo with even a 6" exhaust outlet means absolutely nothing if the turbine wheel is the restriction...with that said, that specific borg warner t4 turbo described above will do fine on a 408ci in a hot street application. Of course backpressure won't be an issue if you're only gonna turn 5-6000rpms on a street application, its all relative. I've had friends with cars that run 8.xx secs with 45psi of backpressure, just because you're going fast doesn't mean its all well and good.

6. ray0311

I agree, and yes no more than 6200 rpm

7. Twiceblown351

So we got the XFI and the trans controller in. and a lot of other parts.

[​IMG]#ad

8. Twiceblown351

So I started wiring. I made the wiring look as if it was all stock. Reused the fuse box,relay and most of the plugs. I have the now how and the tools to replace the pins in the plugs.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. Twiceblown351

So we got started on the passager sid header today. First up was mounting the turbo. and finding a home for it.

[​IMG]#ad

1 and 4 done. Trying to make them all the same.
    [​IMG]#ad

#3 done
    [​IMG]#ad

Tried this first for #2 but wasn't liking it and it was running in to the heater box and the spark plugs were not going to be able to get to.
    [​IMG]#ad

so I went this way.And this is were the fun started. this mad the cross over pipe hard to make. But it all work out in the end.
    [​IMG]#ad

And it fits like this in the truck.
    [​IMG]#ad

10. Twiceblown351

Toke some better Pic today.

The cross over pipe.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

In the truck.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

11. Twiceblown351

WE got the down pipe done and the wast gate on.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

And I made another mount to bolt it to the block.
    [​IMG]#ad