1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

99 crap pile miata turbo 4 cylinder. 6.88 @ 107.86 1/8th mile

Discussion in 'Dyno Results and Track Times Forum' started by newaza, Sep 18, 2020.

1. newaza

99 miata
    1.8 liter 4 cylinder
    forged pistons, h beam rods, studs.
    china gtx3076 30 psi
    built jatco 4 speed automatic.
    compressed air spool system.
    6.88 @107.86.jpg #ad
    miata launch.jpg #ad

2. TTF/Ken Staff Member

What do they do stock, for comparison sake?

3. newaza

Dont know but at a guess 4 seconds and 40 mph slower.

4. Disney Lincoln

Probably a high 10 stock. I can't believe you got it going that fast! Nice work!!!

5. newaza

Thanks

Its got more in it. I expect to run somewhere in the 6.70s at 108-109 mph with some getting used to and practice with recent changes. I have also added nitrous, but never used at the track, only briefly tested on the street, Should run 6.50s at 110-111 with a 50 shot I would think.

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  6. testchimp

That's amazing man! How does your compressed air spool system work?

7. newaza

I have a post on miataturbo.net called "rapid spool turbo with compressed air in exhaust" with some good info. It started a couple years ago so you can see some of the progression in performance as well.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  8. Briansshop

Very cool! An N2O shot will knock that 60' down for sure.

9. newaza

Yeah the 60' is slow for the et and trap speed, but there is a good reason for that. I actually start out in 2nd gear and only use first for starting the burnout. Im still on stock rear and axles and trying to preserve those for a while. I figure with the hoosier drag radials on a prepped track, the torque multiplication from using first off the line will likely start breaking the stock rear end stuff. Thats main reason why 60' is low.

nxcoupe likes this.
  10. Briansshop

^^ Makes sense, got to keep it together :2thumbs:

11. 91turboterror

I see a mn12 tbird 8.8 swap in the future lol

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  12. tbird

can you give details and pics on comp spool system.

13. newaza

I posted yesterday with info directing to miataturbo where I have a thread detailing the info. Its still waiting on moderator approval for some reason. You can google
    "rapid spool with compressed air in exhaust". I detailed a lot on there.

14. tbird

Oh your the same guy . Ok. I was thinking it was a different car.
    Great setup.

15. newaza

Yep its me. Same car, its just had a few changes in the last couple years. The hardtop and roll bar were added since it was first posted in 2018.

16. newaza

I went to the track tonight for some test and tune. Got a new best elapsed time! 6.64 timeslip.jpg #ad

TurboComet, tbird and Disney Lincoln like this.
  17. newaza

Also got some dragy data for 0-60 mph on the 6.64 eighth mile run posted above. Although the dragy didn't validate as it interpreted a dip in the track as downslope more than 1 percent, its still accurate. On the run this was taken the timeslip said 6.64 at 106.18, the dragy said 6.65 at 106.14, so basically spot on.
    0-60.png #ad

Disney Lincoln and Briansshop like this.
  18. FlatOut

I've been low 10s with similar 1/8th times. That would certainly be a surprise to most people. nice job on the setup.

19. newaza

Thanks

I would have guessed somewhere in the mid 10's and mid 130's mph in the 1/4. Unfortunately we only have a 1/8th mile track within reasonable driving distance.

FlatOut likes this.
  20. FlatOut

My last track outting.
    [​IMG]#ad

ummduh, Disney Lincoln and newaza like this.