1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

96 PSD with 345,000 miles?

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by Bad Medicine Racing, May 8, 2009.

1. Bad Medicine Racing

OK guys I am looking at trading for this truck 96, F250, XL, 4wd, auto, plain truck with cloth seats, needs a GOOD cleaning but it had 345k on it. I can get in it for around $2000 bucks. The motor runs good, and the trans shifts nice and smooth, has an aftermarket trans cooler on it too. I am going to have to spend around 700-800 on my BBC blazer that I normally pull with (about as much as it's worth lol) or possibly get this truck. I figure I has to have had the trans built and injectors at this point. Opinions? Oh yeah this WILL NOT be a daily driver, just used to pull my car UP TO 150 mile round trip or my camper here and there. 2000 miles a year tops.

2. WaterPog

I just started driving a delivery route for FedEx, my boss has a PSD bubble top van that he uses for pickups with over 800K on it so if it's well taken care of your 96 could be just getting half way there....or it could be on it's last leg...but for $2K I'd say go for it, you could probably part it out for twice that if it fails.

3. Dave R

I think it's worth it. A new longblock 7.3 can be had for $5000 and if you want to go used, there are tons of OBS parts out there for sale to get it up to par. I just bought a superduty 99 with only 155,000 and it only needed injector o-rings, glow plugs and relay. I looked all over and saw a bunch with up to 500k for sale. Mostly because they wanted more creature comforts or to get out before the next gas price epidemic. Diesel was over $5 in some places. If you're just towing to the track, it'll do you fine. Be warned though, you put something on it and you'll be hooked by how easy it is to mod these things. The seat of the pants feel is much more amplified with these diesels. I'm hooked.

Good luck
    Dave

4. fordman2121

the farm truck 96 f350 psd my dad bought now has 285000 on it and he pulls a trailer that ways about 18000 to the fields in the spring and fall and its his daily driver no problems other than glow plugs.

5. Bad Medicine Racing

I ditched that truck, went to check it out better today and it would not start. Same lot has an '04 6.0 PSD with 220k that I can get for 500 more...it just has an intermittent skip. No smoke, idles great just skips a little cold and gets better as it warms up but does not completely clear up. Any ideas?

6. fordman2121

maybe injectors on the 6.0 be carefull with the 6.0 they make great power but have a bad reputation

7. blown99

It is not uncommon to see these engines with 500K on them and never been touched. I work for International. We don't see to many engine failures. Injectors can be hit or miss. A lot of it depends on the quality of fuel and whether or not additive was used. If it runs smooth with no smoke, then there is no reason to replace the injectors.

8. Colt

Avoid the 6.0, try to stick with a 7.3.. 6.0's run good, but they are problematic.. My dad has a '05 that he cant keep out of the dealership, now it has blown head gaskets.. My '07 had 4 bad injectors when it had 36K miles, now it has 50K and has blown head gaskets. I do like the 6.0, but once out of warranty I'd ditch it, thats what I have planned for my F-450, it sucks because I love that truck, it's a tough SOB.. My '00 7.3 though, if I had to choose between the 2 of them, I wouldnt even give the 6.0 a second look That 7.3 has been chipped since it was new, I have worked the hell out of it. Has 215K miles and I expect to see another 200K from this engine, once it goes, I'll toss in another and go again.

The 6.0 can be modded to be the reliable engine it should be, but ya know in my case, when I spend 60K on a truck I shouldnt have to touch it for at least 150K.

9. notched306

6.oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

7.3 hands down

10. chowder48

Look at ebay, lots of psd on there reasonable prices.. last year i bought mine, a 1995 7.3 auto full load, no rust with crewcab etc, every bell and whistle, 127,000miles, needed rear tires. 4500$