1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

95 f150 351w vs racing 77/83

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by MaverickDan, May 30, 2016.

1. MaverickDan

95 f150 351w vs racing 77/83

Been working on my turbo build for about 2 weeks figure it's time to start a build thread.

The truck is a 95 f150 standard cab short bed, originally 5.0, 4r70w with a 3.08 8.8 rear. Drove it stock for about 2 years without doing any mods, which is weird for me. First mod was an altitude adjustment, always hated the rake it had, so I replaced the I-beams with djm dream beams and a axle flip in the rear for a 3 front/5 rear drop. Drove it like that for another year and was getting tired of the gutless 5.0. Found a 97 f250 in the junk yard with a roller 5.8, and about 2 hrs later I had a motor. Did a "budget rebuild" on the engine, re-ring, new bearings, oil pump, arp oil pump drive as I have broken 2 stock ones in 5.0's in my maverick. Started getting speed parts, edelbrock performer truck manifold, comp cams xe264hr-14, headman long tubes. Decided I didn't want to run the e7 heads, so I pulled a set of junk yard gt40p's, lapped the valves, new valve springs and drilled out the head bolt holes. Drove the truck for about 6 months and decided my maverick is going to be sitting for about a year while it's getting redone might as well pull the trick flows and put them on my truck. I signed the truck up for Drag Week, and didn't want to the slowest guy there lol. Which leads me to build a turbo set-up, I'm hoping to run 12.0's and keep it alive, and reliable. I wired a megasquirt BOB to plug the msII into the factory harness, and installed a us shift quick 4 tcu. I've got the hot side nearly done at this point. Please be kind my skills are mediocre at best.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. MaverickDan

How does this wastegate placement look to you guys?
    [​IMG]#ad

3. killacal

Badass build, looking forward to seeing it done... I love these trucks, and that one looks pretty clean still.

4. 92LX-5.8

Sweet build, I just made a megasquirt bob for a 1985 f150 I'm doing and still don't have it right yet. I have finally just started running wires directly to the engine bay to get it going.

5. MaverickDan

Thanks! It could use some body work and paint job, but not bad for 244k miles
    Thanks, didn't know an 85 had efi, or did you swap in a later harness?

6. 92LX-5.8

My 85 had factory EFI, I think ford made the swap halfway through the year. So I have had to use the diagram for a 1986 and things just don't match up completely.

7. Mike86Stang

Nice! I just picked up the same truck basically, except mine is a 4.9 5 speed 4x4. I was kicking around the idea of turbocharging it, but probably won't since these motors aren't real screamers anyhow. I'll be watching this one though!

8. Nortex

Really like this build. Looking forward to the results.

9. MaverickDan

I'don't still do it I6 turbos are fun. Here's my 4.0 5 speed Cherokee.
    [​IMG]#ad

10. killacal

X2! There's a thread on here somewhere of a guy turboing a Ford 300 I6. I seem to recall it making close to 400 rwhp with some boost, but I also remember him cracking the head or something. hahaha! Totally worth it, 8lbs of boost would wake that I6 right up!

11. MaverickDan

Small update. Cut a hole in the up pipe for the wastegate using my el-cheapo plasma cutter, works a lot faster than a die grinder. Started welding up left header, I'm a newb tig welder so I figured I'd get some practice in. It's about 90% done, I was having difficulty tig welding one side of the wastegate pipe I decided to mig it, but I ran out of wire:bang:.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

12. MustangN8S

Very cool truck, look forward to seeing it progress and run

13. MaverickDan

Been slacking the past few weeks due to regearing a buddy's jeep and going on a wheeling trip in my heap . Finished up the hot side, and made the oil feed and return. Pulled the engine today to swap the oil pan. Went to install the oil filter relocation, but it wont fit so I ordered another one that has 90° line exits instead of coming straight out the end.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

14. Briansshop

Looking good Dan. I'm curious about the Edelbrock truck intake. Are you going to use that with boost? I've been wondering how it'd work.

15. MaverickDan

Yes, I'll be using the Edelbrock, I'm hoping it works well cause I'm too cheap the buy another intake lol. Think I really need to upgrade the throttle body though. I'd also like to thank you, your build thread has been an invaluable resource to me, and as you can see I've stolen a few of your idea's.

16. Briansshop

Yeah, the throttle body does look like it could hold you back. Maybe you could add an oval Cobra style to it. I'm torn between the GT40 and the Perf II. Just not sure it the Perf II is better enough in the RPM range I'm at most of the time - below 5500 RPM - to warrant the 800 buck price. I'm thinking the truck intake should be close to the GT40 in 3500-4500 RPM range. It's going to be fun without a doubt!

And glad you found my thread useful, that's what it's all about!

17. MaverickDan

18. MaverickDan

So I just finished upgrading my fuel system, and the trucks running great (still at 4 psi and non intercooled). But driving it around today I was getting some detonation, timing at 23*(11.0 AFR, 93 octane), is this too much? Or cause I'm non intercooled and it was very hot today(100*f)? Also should I move my IAT sensor to the charge pipe? It's currently in the intake. IAT was 160* before the pull, not sure what it was during the pull.

19. Mike86Stang

I would suggest moving the IAT, I noticed much better drive ability after I moved mine.

With the heat I'm sure that's why you were getting some detonation. I'd pull more timing to be safe until the weather lets up, or throw an intercooler on it. Still hard to say if would have faired much better with an IC .. as we all know turbo cars/trucks do not like heat

91turboterror likes this.
  20. MaverickDan

I'm thinking I may try throwing in a colder thermostat, still has a stock replacement in there 195* I believe. Truck runs at 204* pretty much the whole time. Think bringing the temp down 10* would help?