1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

93 Convertible, 351w, 80mm, AOD/4R --- IT'S ALIVE 6/29 w/ video!!!!

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 1BAD6T6, Dec 4, 2010.

1. 1BAD6T6

I've always wanted to build a fox body mustang. I picked up this 93 5.0 convertible about two years ago for next to nothing. It was stock down to the intake silencer in the passenger fender. The interior was/is in decent shape and the paint is a 5 at best, but it drove really well. I joined just about every forum I could find to figure out what to get into first. That's when I found this site. I've been watching builds for quite a while and I am trying to learn from the successes of others. Its time to stop watching and start building.

[​IMG]#ad

Before I decided to go turbo, I had it in my head to go 351w. I found this little gem for $75 out of a 94 E150'¦

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here are the goodies:
    Engine:
    351w F4TE .030' 9.29:1CR
    TRW Forged Pistons 2446f30 13.2cc dish
    Eagle SIR I-Beams
    Stock crank
    Victor Jr. Heads (box stock)
    Victor EFI intake
    F303 cam
    75mm Accufab TB

Turbo Kit:
    Homemade 2.5' hotside using flipped BBK shorties
    ITS GT80R
    60mm XO2 Wastegate
    50mm XO2 BOV
    eBay intercooler
    3' aluminum coldside

Engine Management:
    Stock EEC tuned with Quarterhorse
    PMAS Pro Tube
    Crane Hi-6
    AEM Injector Driver

Fuel System:
    Dual 255 Walbros
    83# Low impedance injectors
    ½' Paxton rails
    Aeromotive reg. 13101

Transmission:
    AOD with 4R70 internals
    Silverfox Performance Manual Valvebody with OD lockout
    PTC converter

Rear end:
    Moser 33 spline axles
    9" ends
    Moser spool
    3.73 gears (have 3.55s on the shelf)

Suspension:
    D&D K-Member
    QA1 A-arms
    UPR coil overs
    Flaming River manual rack
    Full length subframe connectors
    Boxed uppers and lower in the rear

More pictures to come.

2. 1BAD6T6

Re: 93 Convertible, F4TE 351w, 80mm, AOD/4R - Lots of Pics

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Built rear end with Moser cover, CEE 3 Way shocks and disk brakes from a 2000 Ford Explorer.

[​IMG]#ad

4R70 Internals from a 2001 F150

[​IMG]#ad

3. brianj5600

Good find on the motor! You need to post some pics of the turbo accompanied by a long neck. I already wanted to come over see your project, but now I want to pic your brain on your transmission and axle too. That thing is going to be hard to hook with the 2.84 1st gear and a 3.55 rear gear. Did you ever go to the track normally aspirated?

4. 1BAD6T6

Like I said, you're more than welcome to stop by anytime. Will a whiskey bottle do? Longnecks don't stay around long enough to take a picture of one. :cheers:

I know the 2.84 will be steep but I've kept the original 3.08 just in case. If that's too far the other way I'll grab 3.23s.

I got a chance to get to Union Hill. Embarassed to say but all it would do was 8.51 @ 85.51mph. The 2200 stall abosultely killed it. My 60's were between 2.02 - 2.04. It didn't start moving until it hit a little over 3k. Either way it was fun to get out there. I hadn't been to a drag strip to participate in 10+ years.

I'm installing the coil overs and manual rack today. I'll post up some pics when i get finished.

5. 93wannabe

very similar to my build here...I opted for the non wide planetary set for my 4r though

6. 68mustang

about some more pics of the 65/66 in the background!

7. 1BAD6T6

Gladly!

[​IMG]#ad

resto in 2004.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

8. 1BAD6T6

Here ya go Brian!

[​IMG]#ad

mandrel bends and such came in today.

[​IMG]#ad

9. 1BAD6T6

Does anyone have any thoughts on making that t4 flange an open flange instead of divided. I have three housing for this turbo: .84 and 1.15AR housings are divided and the .96AR is undivided. I've seen BrianJ's modified flange for his t6 but the inlet is much larger than the area of the two on the t4 flange. Would cutting out the partition cause any issues, help or hurt things?

[​IMG]#ad

10. brianj5600

I can not imagine any down side to cutting the divider out for use with an open housing. I don't think it would be a problem if you remove it on a divided housing as long as you smooth the divider on the housing. I chose to smooth the flange and leave my housing unaltered to make the turbo easier to re sell if I want to change my set up.

11. 1BAD6T6

I have yet to compare it to the open .96AR housing. I may just smooth it the up pipe side of the flange and call it a day. At this point I'm not sure which housing I'm going to use.

12. Turbo Drag Radial

i dig the build, keep us posted.

13. 1BAD6T6

Thanks.

Got the old exhaust off and mounted the BBK's. The sway bar mounts aren't an issue, but the oil filter is. Gonna run to the pull a part to see if I can grab a 90* filter relocator. The funny thing is, if you notice in the first pic, the damn motor had one originally. It had the cooler piece that I didn't want. I couldn't get it to fit without it so I threw it away. :bang: Just have to grab another one. I know there's a piece that is very specific to make this work, but I think it only comes from the factory on the 460's. We'll see.

The other thing I have to consider is the lower radiator hose. Through all the builds I've watched, I've never noticed how much it gets in the way. It really being a pain in the ass because I'm mounting the turbo on the driver's side.

14. 1BAD6T6

I got the intercooler mocked up today. I could have easily fit a 4" intercooler, but I hope to keep AC in it. I'm going to leave the transmission cooler sandwiched between the IC and the radiator. There is plenty of room between the IC and the trans cooler. Once the condensor goes back in, I'll have to move the trans cooler. But for now, it is where it is.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Doesn't look like there will be much room for error between the compressor and the 3.5" DP.

[​IMG]#ad

15. 1BAD6T6

Got the IC installed tonight. It's a little low, maybe by 1/2" or so. I have plenty of room between the bumper and the trans cooler so moving it around won't be an issue.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

16. brianj5600

Anything new to report?

17. 1BAD6T6

Got a little bit down this weekend. Seems like it took forever just to commit to putting the turbo on the driver's side. Once I commited, then how was I going to route my up pipes? Guess that's the down side to the whole "how ever you wat to" part of this. So many options, which one to go with? Well here's what I ended up with...

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Well, if you've seen John's (domn8rx) build, which we all have, its pretty much what I'm following. Yeah I know, no creativity. Just going with what works. The welding isn't the best. Only been doing it for a couple months. I've taken more than a few ideas from several builds here like BrianJ's smoothed divided flange and DIY self centering v-bands. Ah yes, which brings me to a good point.

The shitty vbands off of eBay are just that, shitty. I ordered two of them. But for $25 shipped I figured screw it, I'll try 'em. They were suppose to fit 2.5" pipes. Not so much. I took a burring bit to them. Now they fit. I thought the clamp was shit too, but once I got them on and centered the clamp fit fine and didn't break when I put the torque to 'em. Either way, when I pick up my 3.5" DP flange, it'll be a good one from one of the vendors here. No more bullshit.

Made another change to the set up as far as engine management goes. I'm going to sell the Quarterhorse and MAF and purchase a MSPnP. I've downloaded TunerStudio and their standard 5.0 build to play around. I dig it.

18. Chris91LX

Nice build so far. I like the IC mount you fabbed up.

19. 1BAD6T6

Thanks Chris. I'm going to make an adjustment to it height wise but it fits nicely. A 4" intercooler would have fit easily.

20. brianj5600

I hear you about looking at something is what takes the longest. Once you decide to do it, it does not take too long. It is looking good! And there is nothing wrong with copying something that works. If it was not so close to Xmas I would come over and watch, BS and maybe even toss back a couple. What is your work/garage schedule this week? PM or call me.