1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

91 octane gas.

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by mustang-junky, Jul 22, 2012.

1. mustang-junky

Went to my closest gas station the other day. After I begin to pump my gas I looked over and saw that the pump said 91 instead of 93. I asked the station attendant about it, she said it just started that day, but that the 91 had no ethanol in it. This is the biggest chain in town, I hate think that other stations may drop 93 as well. I could care less is the 91 does not have ethanol in it. To the best of my knowledge, the ethanol only really effects older small engines, like lawn mowers. Guess I will be shopping elsewhere.

Jess

2. MONTEGOD7SS

I'll take no ethanol any day of the week over ethanol, for reasons other than if my car cares or not. The government mandating it is the biggest, followed by the corn lobby that pushes that crap on us so they rake in billions in aid, and finally corn ethanol is the absolute worst way to get ethanol of all known processes. I run 100% gasoline in everything I have, and the fuel mileage more than makes up for the 5c per gallon extra.

3. Lance

When we got switched here I immediately noticed knock and had to back down timing, increase fuel and power took a hit.
    I buy non-ethanol for all my project cars. Other highly boosted cars that have come here from non-ethanol areas have required LOTS of re-tuning with big HP looses....

IMHO they should have to RE-rate the fuel, I swear it CAN'T octane test to the number on the pump.

4. mustang-junky

I can see the political reasons for not liking ethanol.

To me having 93 available on the east coast was a bit of a consolation for the high taxes and lack of jobs.

I have no doubt that this company only offers the ethanol free 91 to soften the reaction to dropping the 93. I would be willing to bet money that within six months the ethanol will be back in the 91.

Jess

5. half-fast

i guess my question is why does it cause such a drastic change? isnt the ethanol a higher octane just lower energy value? this is the same thing as e85 just less alcohol more gas right?

6. stangman9897

Down here Shell is pushing a new gas with ethanol made from sugarcane and not corn. A lot of the pumps here will say this fuel contains at least 10% ethanol, that why i buy Shell 93 for both of my mustangs no ethanol just gas. Here if you think a station is not giving you a full gallon or the octane is off all you have to do is call the Texas Department of Weights & Measure's and they will come and test the ststion and call you and give you a report. I have called them 3 times and they caught 2 stations cheating on a gallon of gas. Hell i took my 5 gallon gas jug and the pump said it held 5.75 gallons.,BUSTED it was a guy from Pakistan that owned the place.

7. blown385

I wish we had ethanol free gas .

Outboards hate it .

8. larouchedem

We have several brands of 93 here, but all have 10% or close to it.

Fwiw, I would test to be sure, even if they say it's eth free.

9. Lance

Just as having 15% gas in your e85 dilutes the ethanol to less octane, the reverse is true as well.

10. half-fast

sorry for the questions but does that mean they are using a shittier gas and getting 91 with the higher octane ethanol

11. Lance

12. slowboat

Startron enzyme treatment if your not using it already....looks like blue washer fluid and works killer in the outboards.

13. MONTEGOD7SS

I run MMO in every gasoline engine I have. Cars, motorcycle, boat, weedeater, chainsaw, mower, they all get 100% gasoline with 4oz of MMO per 10gal. My cousin uses Startron religiously in his 4stroke outboard, and gets to replace the fuel lines and have the injectors cleaned every year anyways. I'll stick with 100%.

14. jfive

I use that startron too! I believe stabile is making a ethanol additive too. We started getting the 91 with no ethanol about two years ago, mainly for small engine guys. Lots of chainsaws, boats, snowmobiles, motorcycles ect wanted it. In north dakota they have only one type of fuel with ethanol and its usally the 89. 85/87 is non and so is the 91/92. I just wish they would take all the E10 and just make more E85/E98 as it should be a choice to use it, not a mandate.