1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

91 fox coupe/ls 6.0/s480/th400 build/ms3x

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by dmcdevin, Apr 10, 2014.

1. dmcdevin

Been lurking around on here for quite some time reading and gathering info for this build. The amount of info on here is almost overwhelming! I've been collecting parts for this build for a few months now and I'm fixing to actually get start with the build part. I've got the motor all torn down and have a few parts at the machine shop to get freshened up. My transmission is done so I can pick it up this weekend.

As for the car I picked it up outta texas about 2 months ago. It was pretty well built roller. 10pt cage, 35 spline strange axles, spool, 5/8 studs, 3:55 gears, thru floor subframe connectors, team z k member control arms and coilovers, billet specialties streetlights and an extended 4 inch cowl hood.

I have already got most of the parts I'm going to need for the build.
    02 lq4
    custom grind comp cam
    forced inductions s480
    all gaskets
    oil pump
    double roller timing chain
    btr valve springs
    ls7 lifters
    ls2 lifter trays
    aremotive a1000(probably switch to the holley dominator pump)
    2.25 mandrel bends for hot side
    ebay head studs
    radiator and fan
    megasquirt ms3x
    built th400 with brake
    circle d converter
    05 ls2 rods and pistons
    v bands
    ctsv oil pan

Still gotta get
    injectors
    intercooler
    fp regulator
    cold side piping
    wastegate
    bov
    shifter

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

The motor I picked up has obviously been ran super lean at some point in time. The exhaust valves look like that got way too hot! One even had the edge broke off so I will send the heads off for a valve job.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

And the hair dryer!

[​IMG]#ad

So far I've just been going thru the chassis wiring trying to eliminate what I don't need. I wont be running ac but I plan on leaving the heater. I want to be able to drive this thing on the street as much as I can as well as take it to the track. This will be my first experience with anything with a turbo so its all a learning experience! Being as I'm new to the turbo world if you guys see me make any dumb ass mistakes along the way don't hesitate to call it out lol.

Also I'm trying to decide if I should go with high or low impedance injectors. I know if I go with the low impedance I will have to run resistors with the megasquirt. Will the resistors cause any problems while tuning? I have seen mixed opinions about this.

I work crazy hours but I'm going to try and keep this update as much as possible

2. Beatdown Z

Mind sharing the cam specs? Are you just running stock cylinder heads? 317's?

3. dmcdevin

yea stock 317s plan on doing a little porting on them. the cam is 230/235 .609/.610 114+5

4. JeffG

From LilJohn?.........Thats the EXACT grind he spec'd for my build:D

5. dmcdevin

Actually martin at tick spec'd it for me. Great minds think alike i suppose lol

6. nj636

:popcorn: subbed for this one

7. dmcdevin

Haven't really been able to get a whole lot done here lately. Been working some crazy hours. But I did pick up my transmission about a week ago.

[​IMG]#ad

I'm still waiting to get my heads back from getting a valve job but I had another motor to use for mock up in the mean time

[​IMG]#ad

And I got it all dropped in the car.....

[​IMG]#ad

And that's how she sits now. Still got to adjust the motor a bit but at least something is there that I can work with.

8. sarg

Similar to my build except I went 5.3 and 4l80e. I look forward to seeing your progress. What fuel do you plan to run?

9. dmcdevin

It will probably be mainly on pump gas since the closest e85 station is about 50 miles from me but I definitely want to try her out on some e85 at some point!

10. sarg

Well if you ever have aspirations of e85 sound large low imp injectors would probably be the cheapest route. I did hi-z Bosch 160s and they seem fine so far, but some have had issues with e85 on them.

11. dmcdevin

Ok good to know. Now I just need to find out if it would be fine to run just the resistors for the injectors.....or should I get an injector driver??

12. JeffG

Get the driver...the way low impedance injectors operate, they need a driver to run properly

13. dmcdevin

Awesome thanks!

14. JeffG

15. dmcdevin

Good info there! Thanks again!

16. sarg

I was under the impression (possibly misguided) that megasquirt could run low z injectors?

17. JeffG

you have to add some circuit boards into it and I'm not very good at soldering the small stuff so I just bought the Versafueler

18. dmcdevin

I may have to look into that....I soldered my own board and so far everything is ok

19. JeffG

20. dmcdevin

sweet thanks!