1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

9 inch ends with 95 gt brakes.... correct offset?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by Mike93SVT, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Mike93SVT

so i've read through the old posts. found that i should use Strange H-1138 ends as they have 8.8 brake mounting location. i planned on ordering my axles with my suspension setup from dave at team z in the next week or two, but was wondering if anyone used a stock rear disc setup with these ends. will it be an issue at all? or is it pretty standard offset from the 9in end plate to the offset of the hub? hope that makes sense

thanks,
    mike

2. Mike93SVT

3. allmotor65stang

well you have 9'' ends! do you have new style, old style or small bearing..how would your stock brakes from a sn95 bolt to the 9''ends??i would think you need a new set of brakes for the right 9'' ends..

4. Jacob

I have this setup on my 93 Cobra. I am using 98 Cobra brakes. My 8.8 housing has Moser 9 in. ends that are made for the 8.8 brake bolt pattern. The axles are .750 longer from the bearing out to the flange. You also have to machine a pocket in the caliper mount for the 9 in. bearing retainer. Not sure if I explained this so you could understand.

Jacob

5. Jacob

I found somebody that sells the correct offset brackets that can be used with any 9 in. end and factory brakes. I just can't remember who sells them.

Jacob

6. rb69

you might try quickperformance.com as they do alot w/ 9" rear ends

7. Mike93SVT

i don't have the ends yet. i haven't bought anything as i don't know which parts will work properly yet. i'll check out the moser ones. thanks

8. Jacob

The Moser ends use the small Ford bearing. I am not sure what the biggest spline axle you can run with the small bearing. I have 31 spline and I know the 33 will work, just not sure about anything bigger.

Jacob

9. allmotor65stang

33 is the max..

10. Ghost410

I have the moser setup on my 96 Cobra with the small ford bearing and run 35spline axles. Still uses factory disk brakes. Speak to moser, they should be able to point you in the right direction. It was put together by Super Street Performance and Hellbent Race cars.

11. Mike93SVT

are you using the stock caliper brackets? and are they moser axles?

i wanna run 33 spline strange axles. heard too many stories about moser's breaking. and i already have a strange sool. i'll call moser and see what they offer to use with strange axles. hopefully it'll work

12. Jacob

I would suggest talking to Strange and see if they can make the axles with the extra 3/4 of an inch length between the bearing and the outer axle flange. Moser makes them like this, but Strange may not.

13. Ghost410

Stock caliper brackets. They just had to be machined. I have a full moser setup. 35 splines and spool. The only thing I had to lose was the ABS.

14. Mike93SVT

well i talked too strange. the stock brakes have a 3.5in offset and that is too far for the race axles to stick out. it could cause them to brake. they only offer a 2.5in offset... they sell a svo disc setup that is 400 bucks. i'm gonna go ahead and try to modify my caliper brakets to mount on the inside of the flange, and possibly shim to give them the proper offset to work with them. we'll see what happens

15. 93wannabe

MIKE, there is a place on ebay out of texas (houston or pearland) that makes a braket to mount inboard of the flange. theyre less than 100.00 and i used them on my car (fox w/sn brakes) when you use these you can still run c clip elims too...

16. Mike93SVT

thanks, i talked to that guy too. he requires moser axles, which i'm not gonna do. and the point of 9in ends was to not have c clip elims. i'll figure it out. i'm gonna run the strange components, then see if i can modify the bracket to sit inboard and work from there. if not, i'll just buy the street brake kit they sell. thanks for the input :cheers: