1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

89 Iroc sb 400-megasquirt/TV7512 Bottom 9's high 8's or blow it up trying

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 1BadV6ThirdGen, Mar 29, 2011.

1. 1BadV6ThirdGen

EDIT PLANS HAVE CHANGED

getting a v7512 single turbo

BOTTOM 9'S HIGH 8'S OR BLOW IT UP TRYING

i just picked up 2 fbodys
    an 89 iroc that i was going to use as a daily driver and the 87 firebird which has a non running 305 well i was going convert the iroc back to tpi but ive changed my mind since i cant leave anything alone/stock
    instead of converting the iroc back to tpi i im going to leave it carbed.
    in the meantime im going to use the dead 305in the bird and the bird to mock up a twin turbo kit for the iroc.this way i can still drive the iroc around till the kit is done.
    shouldnt take long as alls i have to do is make downpipes really
    this is the kit i bought and should be shipping out to me on monday or tuesday
    [​IMG]#ad

i also found a cheap vic jr intake locally, so ill just have to source an holley 650 dp to convert to blow through carb use and find a carb hat.

ill prolly have a few questions for u guys on doing the carb, i just read oer the hanger18 site and it seems really simple and stright foward to do. so i doubt ill hae any problems there.though im sure ill be bugging the hell out of u guys when it comes time to tune it

i do hae a question on the distributor though, it has an hei vacum/mechanical advance what should i do with it ? just pull out the wieghts and springs and weld it solid so its locked out? what about the vacum advance? do i really need a msd btm?

prolly only take me a week to mock this stuff up on the firebird an have it transferred over to the iroc

though i dont know what im going to do about the hood yet, either cut holes in the stock hood and have covers/popds fabed . or get a cowl hood and do the same, thinking a cowl hood with turbos peeking out both sides would look pretty mean

anyways heres pics of both cars as they sit now more to come soon as some of m parts arrive this week

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

oh yeah one more thing when the carb converion was done on the iroc they left the stock intank pump, and just put a regulator in the line, my thoughts are to get twin 255's or a single 340lph pump and use it like that, anything wrong with doing that? instead of using a mechanical pump?

2. 1BadV6ThirdGen

Re: and so it begins TT L98 iroc & single turbo firebird 3.0L V6 huge turbo

finally found the pics i was looking for after seeing these again im deffinatly going to buy a flat hood and cut the holes in that and then fab bulges to go over the turbos
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. sleeperstang1994

love the hood idea. hope you dont have really big bugs where your from though :doh:.... or flying squirrels!

4. 1BadV6ThirdGen

well the iroc just got droped off finaly heres wehat it looks like atm [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

5. 1BadV6ThirdGen

well looks liek the motor is a sb 400 not an l98 liek i originally thought, it has a pair of 882's on it atleast the motor is spotless inside
    ill post up some pics soon i just came in for a drink but im in th middle of ripping out the factory harness

6. 1BadV6ThirdGen

and im almost done :2thumbs:
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

7. 1BadV6ThirdGen

couldnt locate a vic jr with fuel rials as fast as i wanted to so i just got this instead
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

i prolly should have waited to find a used vic jr with rails but this car is going to be my daily driver and i need it on the road asap
    for 300 bucks i got a complete tpi setup + distributor + fuel lines + other misc parts

8. jfive

Re: 89 Iroc sb 400-megasquirt-gt45

I vote 377 destroker. Love those motors. Know a guy that built two of them, and they where both bad to the bone. They like boost according to Procharger. I know to most, it doesn't make sense to loose cubs, but the rpm gain, that would make for crazy upper boosted power, would be worth it to me. Nice scores.

9. 1BadV6ThirdGen

i have no plans to tear into the engine at all,the plan is to build a nice daily driver cheap at most i may spring for a cam but thats about all.
    other then that i only plan on porting the tpi unit

10. 1BadV6ThirdGen

well trying to save some money i decided to try flipping the manifolds i have to see if they would work.
    the passenger side fits perfect (just have to ditch the factory ac heater box which i planed on )

the ds manifold is a different story it has a hump in it which hits the valve cover by about 1/8th of an inch
    i wish it would clear cause it leaves tons of room for a nice large downpipe

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

im almost debating on picking up a header flange and using it as a spacer to make the manifold clear the valve cover?
    u guys think that would work ?

11. 1BadV6ThirdGen

this is the one that fits on the passenger side
    [​IMG]#ad

though im still debating on a set of headers form one of the site sponsors

12. wetback

OMG!!! NO WAY!!! I knew I'd find you eventually... :bah:

you must think I'm :stupid: I was just saying that because you are my competition. I own a '90 convertible which I'm doing a twin turbo on. I'm definetly going to follow this close since I'm going to have to put something together to stay ahead ;)

BTW is that an ebay kit you got for the turbos? any specs on them as far as size? etc etc.

13. slow67

What about getting the manifold angle milled a little bit?

14. 1BadV6ThirdGen

i originially bought a ebay twin turbo kit but after finding out my motor is a 400 ci motor i decide not to use the kit the ebay turbos had to small of turbines for that much displacement

the ebay turbos arent bad ive run them for years on my other car
    those particular turbos are
    t3 hotsides with stage 3 wheels .63 ar
    t4 48 trim coldsides .50 ar and will support about 400-425 fwhp each

i may just cut the manifolds and weld them on an angle, though i found a better set of manifolds to use which have both outlets facing foward instead of one being up and the other being on a foward angle
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

thats on my friends car he had to cut the ds one and weld it otherwise it would have been facing backwards into the firewall, i think im going to go the same route

15. wetback

Looks like a pretty good set up. lol I'm going to need to spend more money now :doh:

I see that you're in Utah, do you come for Hot August nights to Reno?

It'd be fun to see if in person :2thumbs:

16. 1BadV6ThirdGen

i just moved out to utah but im sure ill be out that way alot this summer, im pretty sure vegas speedway is the closest track to me

17. wetback

Yeah that sounds about right. Beautiful track there. we have one aqbout an hr away or Sacramento which is 1:45..not bad. I hope you can make it for Hot august nights here...You see all kinds of cars, from stock restos to full racecars driving on the street to rat rods. Its pretty cool. Are you doing anything as far as suspension is concerned?

18. 1BadV6ThirdGen

vegas is only 236 miles from me so shouldnt be to bad
    i wont be doing many suspension mods cause of the factory ten bolt rear,but ill do the same mods i did on my v6 car

lca relocation mounts, 3 way adjustable drag shocks ,on my v6 those 2 things along got me 1.7 60 fts on slicks and 1.8 on a 245 street tire
    with his car being alot more powerfull i should be able to cut some 1.5's, once i get a strange s60 ill go for more mods

19. 1BadV6ThirdGen

meh didnt acomplish much today but atleast i got a gauge mounting plate made
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

20. 1BadV6ThirdGen

Megasquirt 2 v3.57 is paid for and on its way
    tpi setup will be here friday

tv7152 ill know tom if i won it but i plan to keep biding on this thing to make sure i get it :2thumbs:

new goal is low 9's high 8's or blow it up trying

once i win the turbo im going to get the ms3 proccesor and ms3x expansion board from diyautotune so i can do a lsx cop, as long as i have enough cash left over after the turbo auction ends