1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

grumpy jenkins merlin head question

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by joes69, Dec 9, 2015.

1. joes69

I found a guy that has the gumpy Jenkins oval port heads for sale and was wondering how good these heads are.I believe they may be the 269 intakes.Im putting them on a flattop 496 with boost.I was running some 781 oval ports and it worked pretty decent but hurt the heads.I have heard of them but never head of them running so wasn't sure about them.I can get them for 800 and they are fresh heads..once again they will be boosted just curious as to how they stack up to other heads..Are they a better head than a slightly ported 781 oval..thank you

2. BlownShovel

They flowed better than a slightly worked 781.
    030040 World Products 269cc Oval Port Merlin Iron Head Flow Data

Valve Lift--.300 --.400 --.500 --.600 --.700 --.800
    2.300 ------- 213 -- 275 -- 323 -- 352 -- 355 -- 341
    1.880 ------- 165 -- 202 -- 239 -- 262 -- 274 -- 282
    Methods used: Superflow 600, Flowed at 28" with a bowl blend 1" down, 1" radiused entry plate on the intake port, No exhaust tube, Using Manley Race Master valves.

I considered a set I do not know how thick the deck surface is as that is one of the limiting factors of factory cast heads. When I looked at them I believe the deck was nice a thick improving boosted gasket sealing. At the point of $800 I start thinking Aluminum heads. - Although I am still running my 781s - Bottom line these would be an improvement over your current heads.

3. joes69

thank you for reply.I ended up getting them for 700.00 and felt it would take close to that or more to get my 781s back up to where they needed to be.I found the flow chart you have on bill Mitchell site and I also found some numbers for square port 990s and 088s and the grumpy heads seemed to flow better..I couldn't beat the price so will know how they work this spring...thanks again

4. BlownShovel

Yep - takes a lot to build factory heads from stock. The heads you are going with will work well around town as well. I've had all kinds of heads oval/sq - factory - aftermarket and prefer the ovals for street / strip