1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

88 GT/Moore Racecraft turbo kit/Comp CT6X 88mm/AOD/Holley EFI

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by yellowpony, Nov 7, 2010.

1. yellowpony

Guys, car is getting some changes over the winter months, and figured i would start somewhat of a "rebuild" thread here. If there are some of the older member here that remember turbo50mike this is his old car. He sold the car to a guy in texas who ran the shit out of the car unregistered and no insurance. I saw it on ebay for sale and purchased it, and got it up the ass hard. If this is a lesson to anyone, pay the money for the plane ticket and take a day to go see what you are getting. The car had 3 broken valve springs, looked as though it blew a coolant hose and spewed it all over the place, rings were gone, you could rock the pistons back and forth in the bore, trans had no reverse. and it MAYBE had a quart of oil in the pan. Turbos were shot also. The only thing really left on the car that was there when i bought it is the block and rear. Most everything had been changed.

I have had the car for 2 years now and so far the best et to date is a 8.95@160mph, and has mph of 161.94 with the TTi twin turbo kit that was already on the car. It originally had twin 70's, and i changed them off for twin 61's which was for the better. Here is the way the car sits now:

Engine:
    R-block 347 built by Dennis Moore at Moore Racecraft
    Eagle H-beams
    ARP L19 rod bolts
    JE pro series pistons with .927 pin upgrade
    Hellfire rings
    Cammotion tight lash solid roller .608/.608 236/230 116lsa .008" lash HOT!(replaced bennett racing shootout series, car has not been run with this cam yet)
    Brodix GA1000 springs
    AFR 205 heads
    Jesel shaft mount rockers
    .080 TFS pushrods (will be upgrading with another set of trend performance pushrods)
    EFI super vic intake with sheetmetal elbow
    New 90mm accufab TB (replaced 75mm)

Trans:
    Lentech strip terminator w/ t-brake and manual valve body
    Utimate converter

Rear:
    Moser 31 spline 4 lug axles
    Auburn Pro posi

Suspension:
    D&D k-mmeber and a-arms
    Front coil overs
    Aerospace pro street front brakes
    Team Z single adjustable LCA's
    Wolfe UCA's
    Spherical bushings
    Wolfe ARB
    Strange shocks
    Stock GT springs

Fuel:
    Magnafuel Protuner 750
    10 gal fuel cell (will be putting glenns performance tank in)
    SX FPR
    Edelbrock fuel rails
    TFS 120# injectors

Engine management:
    Holley HP EFI tuned by Dennis Moore
    Turbosmart Eboost 2

Ignition:
    FAST crank trigger
    MSD Distributor (cam sync only)
    Holley DIS ignition
    Accel wires
    NGK 8's

Turbo kit:
    BG Turbo kit
    1 5/8" headers
    3" crossover
    PT4788 T4 Turbo with .96 housing
    3.5" Downpipe
    A/A intercooler

I will post pics when i get the chance to do them. My wife and i are expecting our first baby this friday, so updates may be kinda slow, but will get to them.

I am hoping that the car can turn the same times as before if not faster, which i think is perfectly capable of doing seeing the other cars on this board with similar setups.

If anyone has any questions about anything, please ask! Not a full build, but better than nothing, should be able to get to the track the beginning of spring! Here are a few pics, i will get more current ones shortly.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. 1sicpny

Re: 88 GT/88mm BG Custom Turbo/AOD rebuild

first thing Anthony! congrats on the child. :2thumbs:

That car should be wicked it already was. Did you buy the glenns tank yet? I know someone
    with a pretty much new one you can probably get cheap,(i`ll find out for ya).

Did you get the turbo kit yet? I Know you said you were waiting on brian,

My buddy has aerospace rear brakes he`d probably let go semi cheap if interested. His screen name is yurg
    on here just tell him big E told you about them.

Eric

3. yellowpony

Eric, thanks for the congrats!

I haven't bought the tank yet, is it the sumped tank? Let me know what he says on it! Rear discs wouldn't hurt either, I may be switching the fronts to wilwoods, these front aerospace fit like crap, got them used on eBay, and the calipers don't line up and I think the rotors are warped.

Anthony

4. 1sicpny

i`m pretty sure it`s the sumped one. i`ll find out tomorrow for you. My aerospace fronts lined up perfect.
    I like having the disc on the back. Slowed me down like i wasn`t even go that fast.

5. yellowpony

My aerospace drag brakes lined up perfect too, but these pro streets are the big thick rotors, not the single disc like the drags. The drags warped rotors all the time on the street so I switched. The streets push the front tires out a 1/4". Do you have the drags?

Anthony

6. 1sicpny

No i run the pro streets all around, aerospace told me the drags would be junk by the 3rd redlight.

7. yellowpony

Yea, they weren't kidding about the drags. I can say they weren't lying to you from experience. Can you pm me the part # of your front/rear brakes? Stock fox spindles?

Anthony

8. 1sicpny

yeah stock fox spindles, pm sent

9. Hemann

Nice looking car.

Seems funny you are going from twins to single. I thought of going the other way. Mainly because of the downpipe. That 3.5 pipe is big under the car.

Did Brian make the inlet to the turbo larger like mcj50? Where the pipes merge?

I think your valve covers are going to be very close to the downpipe.

10. yellowpony

I already have dual 3.5" exhaust run on the car. I hope that they clear my valve covers, Brian seemed more worried about where the alternator placement. As far as the merge, I would assume that he would do mine like mcj50's. I leave that up to brian.

Anthony

11. yellowpony

Little update - I am still waiting on most of my parts to come in, but I installed a fresh set of cometics and Lashed the rockers .002" cold per cam motion recommendation. Also just picked up a weather pack connector kit and am going through some of the wiring that I feel isn't quite up to par. Will have some more over the next few weeks as parts trickle in.

Anthony

12. Geddy2112

wow, are you sure about that lash at .002? That is like no lash at all. That is even tight for a TLSR. My tight lash solid roller is .014 and .012 hot. I set my at .008 cold.

13. yellowpony

Yes, I called and double checked. They recommend .008-.010 hot per their cam sheet. They said allow .006" for aluminum head/iron block combo. I will verify once I get some heat into the engine and adjust.

Anthony

14. Hemann

Did you get the turbo kit yet?

15. yellowpony

No, no kit yet. I guess Brian is pretty busy right now. He was waiting on my turbo to come in so he could finish fabbing it up. It should be in by now, been over two weeks. I called on Friday but no one answered, must have been closed for the holidays, he needs a break too. I am starting to get anxious to get it, been over two months and can't wait to see it on the car, but want it to be right also, so I don't really mind waiting. Hoping it ships this week.

Anthony

16. yellowpony

Just got off the phone with Brian @ B&G. He had an "a-ha" moment making my kit and worked a little magic on it. I will get some dyno test and track times to confirm the changes worked. Also, i have a set of 5 lug 31 spline Strange axles with c-clip elims, Wilwood rear discs and waiting on the Wilwood front disc to arrive, due around 12/27. Also have a new set of Summit 5 spoke wheels i have at the tire shop getting wrapped in MT 295-55-15 drag radials and a new set of front tires. Also i should have my new EFI system in a few days from Dennis Moore (64duece on here). I went with the new Holley HP EFI and am going to run their DIS ignition with a FAST crank trigger with a modded MSD distributor and wiring harness from Dennis to connect the HP EFI system. Will get some pics of the discs and stuff tonight, and more pics when the parts show up! Hopefully will haul some ass when i'm finished!

Anthony

17. Hemann

Go into more detail about what Brian is going to do on your kit.

18. yellowpony

Turbo was moved 5" back from where it normally sits, can run air cleaner on the street if needed, 4" Downpipe with bottom half aluminum, 3" crossover with no flex joint, cold side piping comes in on drivers side, he was able to lose 4 feet of coldside piping doing it this way. Also, the merge is a lot smoother and all of these changes should aid in spool time. I will get dyno results and track times when the weather breaks in the spring!

Anthony

19. Geddy2112

Your kit probably kind of looks like my. My cold side feeds into the intercooler from the passenger side. You don't have pipes going back and forth infront of the radiator.

20. ants93notch

should be too long till your kit comes in, right?