1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

87 twin turbo MMR mod motor/tko600 fox body project

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by adam`, Feb 16, 2009.

1. adam`

well the heart of the project just showed up earlier today. using a cobra MMR shortblock thats good for 900whp, patriot stage 2 heads, xe262ah-13 cams, twin ebay turbo, and a used MMR pro trans 900. waiting on some fox body a arms so i can get the car to a welder. im wanting to get the holes welded up in the bay before paint.

here is what im working with....

2. xlr8a4d

Looking good !

3. wildcardfox

looks like fun :2thumbs:

4. PEPEPINGU

SUBSCRIBING!!!!!!!! :yum:

5. StoopidSlow

that tko pro-shifted?

6. adam`

not proshifted.

7. 92whitelx

nice build man, have both the MMR short block and trans and love them :2thumbs:

8. 9050

what kinda header/manifolds are you using? thanks

9. adam`

ford racing shorties with some ubends towards the front.

10. Unatural

Look like it should be fun. What happened with the silver LS1 car? I haven't seen any updates on it in a while.

11. adam`

i got scammed with for twin 67s and the block i had, had a spun cam bearing which couldnt be replaced since it was the largest at the end. everything that could go went wrong with the swap so i threw the 200shot back on it and it runs 10.50s @ 137.

lots of progress today. motor will be put together after class at 7pm. got the kmember in, steering rack, and shaft in.

12. 9050

didnt know ford made a shorty style header for the dohc. how much do those run?

13. adam`

2v heads on a cobra shortblock.

14. adam`

well last night was nothing but problems. started assembling the motor, starting fromt he bottom and there was no stud to attach the pickup tube. luckly after digging through some of my old stuff i was able to find an arp mainstud with the threated tip for the pickup tube. then proceeded to assemble the top and couldnt get the harmonic balancer bolt to thread in. ended up setting the motor TDC using a flywheel bolt from the back. finally got the long block assembled and now the cam gears are off with the comp cams cant degree the cams using the dots on the cam gear.

so now im waiting on a degree wheel and the motor will be done.

15. rednotchtub

thats gonna be sweet :2thumbs:

16. adam`

well turns out the comp cam gears are way off and will need a degree wheel to degree the cams. this is going to set me back till i can find someone to give me a hand. im not going to learn on my new motor.

here are some pictures of my manual brake conversion that seems to be on problem after another. nothing is BOLT on anymore. purcahsed a napa 86 manual rack for the car and got the flaming river adapter. seems to be a good inch gap between the steering shaft and rack mount. got the rack mounted and found out the 4.6 a arms are WAY to far out so i picked up some 89 tubular a arms. hopefully i dont have a problem with the aerospace M/C kit tonight.

17. domn8rx

Are you goin to use the rag joint? Will that take up the space? This is stupid but you know the shaft in the column moves in and out, right?? I like your build.

john

18. adam`

with the flaming river adapter... it eliminates the rag joint. as for the shaft moving in and out, its out as far as possible.

19. onefst86gt

here you go man, that joint must be used with the rag joint. You cannot bolt them straight together because then there is no flex. Here is the quote from the summit website from flaming river.

A quality connection for your steering.
    These Flaming River rack and pinion adapter flanges can be used to install manual rack and pinion with the power steering rag joint. They bolt on to the bottom of the rag joint and accommodate the manual rack and pinion. The adapter flanges feature forged steel construction and a natural finish.

20. domn8rx

I thought it was just me??