1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

'83 Ford Fairmont, 5.3L, 4L80E, 8.8, MS1, TV7512 turbo build (Denmah-inspired)

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by TurboComet, Jan 22, 2014.

1. TurboComet

Sold my '63 Chevy II station wagon because I got tired of driving the car and picked up a grandma-fresh 1983 Ford Fairmont 4-door. I've always had a thing for Fairmonts and Zephyrs, and, after much inspiration from all of Denmah's builds, decided I needed to have a turbocharged junkyard budget LS-powered Fox body. I also have a thing for 4-door cars, so this Fairmont turned out to be a perfect fit.

Here's what I've accumulated so far:

~ 2001 5.3L w/97K complete less harness
    ~ LS1 intake manifold
    ~ Siemens Deka 80 lb./hr. injectors
    ~ Bosch 044 fuel pump
    ~ TV7512 turbo (76mm, T-6, .96 A/R)
    ~ 60mm wastegate
    ~ 50mm BOV
    ~ 31" x 12" x 3" A2A intercooler w/plumbing
    ~ MS1 w/LS harness
    ~ MSD 6010 ignition box
    ~ 31" x 19" generic aluminum radiator (going to convert to double pass myself)
    ~ Early '90's 4L80E (removed from running/driving '94 3500 GMC, been rebuilt at some point)
    ~ Hughes billet triple-disc 10.5" torque converter
    ~ PCS Simple Shift TCU w/harness
    ~ All stock 8.8 out of a Mustang, 2.73 or 3.08 gear, haven't verified yet
    ~ Set of 10-hole Mustang wheels

Got a lot of the bigger stuff out of the way. Still have quite a few small items needed to complete project. Not doing anything to the engine except changing valve springs. Goals for the car are to drive it daily on 91 octane pump gas, make no changes that sacrifice the comfort of the car, pull down 20+ MPG, and still have enough power to have some fun once in a while. It would be great to crack into the 10's at some point with the car, but I'm not too concerned with that at the moment.

Plan on flipping the truck exhaust manifolds and building the hot side from either 2" or 2.25" tubing. Probably end up using a 3.5" or 4" downpipe and would like to have it underneath the car and exit out the back.

Sump will go in the stock tank along with 6AN plumbing and a 13301 Aeromotive or similar regulator for the fuel system.

I'd like to install some subframe connectors, and will likely install aftermarket rear control arms at some point. Not too worried about weight so I plan to leave the stock K-member up front

. Fairmont 1.jpg #ad
    5.3.jpg #ad
    Fairmont 4L80E.jpg #ad
    Fairmont no engine.jpg #ad

Fairmont 1.jpg #ad

5.3.jpg #ad

Fairmont 4L80E.jpg #ad

Fairmont no engine.jpg #ad

2. TurboComet

Got the TransGo 4L80EHD-2 kit installed and buttoned up last night. Next step is to mate the engine and trans, then drop them in the car so I can start making mounts.

Fairmont 4L80E (2).jpg #ad

Fairmont 4L80E (2).jpg #ad

3. H.P.Ranch

Pete theres one thing missing, "Move over I'm late for bingo" bumper sticker. Looks like fun.

4. TurboComet

That's awesome. I can probably find one of those stickers out in Sun City. Great idea... :grin:

5. quick85vet

Looking good Pete. Should be awesome! Keep us posted!! :thumbsup:

6. 74chlngrTT5.9

Ha...
    found the new thread...

Mike.

7. Drac0nic

Wow that is minty even by Fairmont standards.

8. TDmkr496

Wow Pete great looking ride!!

9. mikegager

in for the build!

10. MarkFJ40

Are they all that cream beige color?!
    lol

11. quick85vet

looks to be!! lol :lau:

12. Turbo-Box

Nice! I feel like I'm the oddball around here because I still have a Ford motor in my Fairmont.

13. TurboComet

No offense to the many. many die hard Ford enthusiasts here, but I believe that Fox bodies exist solely for GM engine swaps, especially turbo LS swaps. They go together like peanut butter and jelly. It's just meant to be. Based on what I've seen I think that you can pretty much pick any GM V8, swap it into a Fox body, and it actually fits better and is easier to work on than any Ford powerplant in the same car. That being said, I do love seeing a 4V modular swapped into one also. It actually kind of bums me out when I see a push rod Ford engine in one of these cars. :grin:

14. Turbo-Box

While I don't agree that that is the sole reason they exist, I do agree that they do make great cars for engine swaps. My friend has an LS motor in his '86 GT and he said it was easier to swap that motor into his Fox Ford than it was to swap a 6.0 LS into his dad's '71 Chevelle. I'm not a huge fan of crossbreeding, but you can't argue with the results. Just look at Denmah...lol! I almost got banned by the Ford lovers over at FourEyedPride because I tried to make the point that for some Fairmont/Zephyrs the ease of going fast on the cheap with an LS swaped in is what saved them from going to the crusher.

15. TurboComet

This stuff is all for sale if anybody is interested. $3,000.00 O.B.O. for everything I have. $2,700.00 O.B.O. for the group of parts only less the car. The only thing not included with the parts list is the torque converter. I'm not really interested in parting everything out at this moment. I'd prefer to unload everything all at once. I know there aren't many people out there that will want the car, so it may just have to get sent to scrap if it doesn't sell. Getting out of owning a project car for a while and moving on to bigger/better things.

Located in Glendale, Arizona.

16. mikegager

seriously wtf

id buy it if you were closer