1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

'81 Dodge Ram 2WD Cummins 4BTA

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by truckman, Aug 2, 2013.

1. truckman

I posted about my boost issue in the"turbo tech questions" forum, but I might get a little better responses here. Here's the build pics;
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

This is where I have an issue. I have about 12psi boost at the intake, but about 17psi at the turbo outlet. I think the 90* bends are part of the problem, as well as going to the 4" turbo elbow then back down to 2.5" piping. I'll straighten out the piping and get the proper elbow.
    [​IMG]#ad

This is the truck, except it now has a 5" stack and different wheels.
    [​IMG]#ad

2. turbostang500

Nice truck man. Neither the bends or the 2.5" to 4" to 2.5" is helping with the flow or boost loss. What IC are you using?

3. truckman

Thanks! :thumbsup: I still need to get some paint on it.
    It's the IC that came in the step van. I used most of the parts that came with it, just to get going. I used the TH400 and a 2.55 Ford rear, but I need to go to an OD trans, since it's just over 2000rpm at 65mph.
    Where's a good place to find elbows? Turbo is supposed to be a HX30, I have the elbow dimensions I need somewhere.

4. turbostang500

I have a hx35 on my 302 and was having the same problem. I ended up using a carbide deburring tool and grinding down the lip on the compressor for the v band and just slipping a rubber hose on it with a t bolt clamp. I left just a little lip to help retain the rubber.

From what I know, the IC can make huge changes in boost pressure depending on how much of a restriction it is. A good ic will have about .5-1 psi loss. A bad design can have 4-5 psi loss. That ic might have been a victim of compartment space over efficiency. Just food for thought.

5. Turbo-Box

I always wanted to swap one of those motors into a 1980-1996 F-150. Apparently it's almost a bolt in swap in place of a 300/6 if you get a motor from a Ford chassis bread truck.

6. truckman

Plenty of info here; http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forum.php for those swaps.

7. truckman

I will have to look into that! Thanks.

8. Turbo-Box