1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Please help me identify this turbo and if it'll work for my project......

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by Dave R, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Dave R

Hey all,
    I picked up a turbo from a buddy that has a remote setup on his LT1 Camaro. He went with a bigger turbo because he's shooting for block splitting power. I was going to use it to size it into the engine bay of my 63 Fairlane project but I might just take it off his hands if it'll work for me. He was pushing 430rwhp with this on a 350.

My project is a 1994 Mark VIII 4.6 DOHC in a 63 Fairlane with the 4R70W transmission. I am not looking for massive power. I just want to hit maybe 350-400hp and be done with it. I've already sized it for an intercooler sufficient for well over that so I know I have the room. Remember, I DO NOT WANT MASSIVE POWER. I don't know how many people I talk to that think I HAVE to have a big 88mm turbo with my application. It's hard to detune a HP junkie's brain. I just want good streetable use out of it with around that hp range. It's a cruiser, not a racer. So, here she is......

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

The numbers are as follows... these are internal flange measurements.

Turbine side 11 blade
    T4 in and 2.75" V band out with .81 A/R
    Inducer 64mm and exducer 73mm
    Housing has TH8176A inside on mounting flange

Compressor side 6/6 blade
    2.9" inlet and 1.75" out with .60 A/R
    Inducer 66mm and exducer 84mm
    Housing has CCE67 stamped inside on mounting flange

Thanks for any help identifying the turbo and if it would work for my application.

Dave

2. Mnlx

Sounds like a p trim turbine, and should easily make the power you're after.

3. Dave R

Awesome! Where about do you think it'll start to spool? Thanks for the info. That's good news. I just test fit it into the bay. I'll have to modify the inner fender more than I have but it looks like it'll fit just fine.

Thanks a bunch!

Dave

4. Mnlx

Stock 4.6? I would guess in the 2500-2800 range it should be going positive with the right tune.

5. Dave R

Yup. Stock 4V B headed 4.6 from a 94 Lincoln. I'll upgrade the injectors, MAF and fuel pump as needed for the extra power but that is just about it. My own made headers and exhaust and a FMIC. It'll be through a 4R70W that will have to be strengthened some and into an explorer 8.8. The car is looking to weigh in at around 3000lbs. I can live perfectly fine with that RPM range

Been a while since I saw SkiDoo written anywhere. Had a 98 MXZ 583 when I was in North Dakota. Turbo's on them sounds fun.

Thanks
    Dave

6. Dave R

Here's what it'd look like in the bay with the engine in there. Just need to determine routing of hot and cold sides and then find the right position for it. Plenty of room to grow it looks like too.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I think I might have found a new goal here. Looks like the air ride setup is going to have to wait.

Dave

7. 91turboterror

I guess you wanna run the exhaust out the back . You could open up a hole in the apron & dump it out the fender

8. Dave R

Yes, out the back is ideal. I'm thinking I have plenty of room to run an oval 3" all the way. I still have to weld in some subs and that will help with spacing underneath. I already have to raise the driveshaft hump at least 1.5 inches to accommodate the ride height. I really don't want to dump it up front anywhere. I'm trying to maintain the stock idea with the car but hide all the added features under that good looking classic skin. It's a cruiser.

Thanks
    Dave

9. Dave R

Well, I'm trying to sand blast the rear end so I can prep it for paint and bracket welding. In between waiting for my crappy compressor to catch up and cool off, I decided to grab a piece of steel and cut the fender out to fit the turbo in the bay. I guess you could say, I'm committed now. The turbo needed to be clocked in a way so I could get the 3" down pipe around where the old shock tower was and still clear the engine. I also had to make sure I could get a filter or an elbow with a filter on it connected and routed in the fender. I needed just about 1" down and 1" back into the fender so I cut the curve out and made it straight. The turbo fits in there nicely. Too bad I ran out of wire for the welder. Once I get it taken care of, I'll weld this all in and look at starting my exhaust building. I have to get the intercooler too because I need to get exacts on where the in and outlets pipes are going to mount. I'm going to have the in and out on the same side in a cooler that supports 600-700 hp if I ever decide to step it up. You can see where the cold side will return above the turbo in the slotted radiator support.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I have a few questions though, My last turbo setup was run by a Big Stuff 3 with a single O2 sensor. I'm planning to use the factory EEC with 42# injectors and a lightning blow through MAF. How should I look at placing the O2 sensors in this car? In the down pipe seems a bit far from the cylinders but in the manifolds are under pressure. Does that matter?

Is there a boost referencing FRP that mounts on the factory rails? I'm not going to do aftermarket rails and such because I know the stockers will handle what I'm planning.....for now.

Will the factory vac IMRC's have an issue operating since mine are not electronic operated? I guess they work off Vac but how will they open if I'm putting boost to it?

Thanks for any help guys.

Dave

10. 91turboterror

O2 should go in the downpipe. Probably would be a good idea to delete the imrc setup. Are you gonna use a mustang2 front end so you can get rid of the shock towers it would clear up more space.

11. Dave R

Already have a Rod & Custom MII front end in the car. Engine is in and mounted and everything. I'm working on the 4 link for the 8.8 rear end now. See.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Because the factory setup uses two O2 sensors, are you saying I need to put them both in the DP? I'd assume they go as close to the turbo as they can because they're already so far from the heads. If there's a way to keep the IMRC's operating, I'd like to try that. I would like the low end grunt to remain if possible........unless they really don't make that much of a difference. It's not a high end car, I want to keep the low end performance and not HAVE to get up in RPM's to get it going. Then again, the plates would let me delete the IMRC solenoid next to the EGR one......which I've considered ditching also but I want to keep a decent mileage in the car for those Denver trips we frequently make.

Thanks
    Dave

12. 1hcam

I like where you're going with the build.

13. Dave R

Thanks. Wish I would have found a newer donor but you take what you can on military pay and what's available in the area. We do what we can.