1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

$7k to spend on mods, what would you get and what turbo kit?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by OxEmoRon, Jul 16, 2003.

1. OxEmoRon

Im pretty much positive that i want a turbo kit over a supercharger. I'm getting a 95 Mustang GT within the next week or two, it has 31k original miles and it is an automatic :(. Anyway, the two turbo kits that i have been looking at are the Cartech and Turbolocity kit, which one of these do you think would be better or is there another kit that i didnt list thats even better? After spending money on the kit (approx. $4k) i will still have that other $3k to put into other mods... What would you suggest getting, everything on the car is stock right now. I think i will definately immediately get a stall converter, shift kit, and gears. I'm also considering converting to a T5 or T56 transmission, but im not sure right now, because the money spent on the transmission could be spent on parts to make it faster. I appreciate any help :)

2. Snipe656

If I were to pick between those two and money was not a option then I would go with the Cartech Outlaw SN95 kit, it lets all your accesories stay(i believe even the smog pump) and comes standard with the hot parts in stainless.

Really any of the SN95 kits out there are great kits though, as far as picking a company it comes down to what compromises(if you have to lose any parts like the Turbolocity will not keep the smog pump), what materials are used standard or as options, and if you like the companies customer service rep. If you get online and ask what is the best company to go with, you will get people who have a kits from one or another and think the company they went with is the best and all the others suck.

If you go Cartech, I think Mental Addictions is running a special on those kits right now and if you decide to go Turbolocity, I will be organizing a GP for them here real soon. But also look into all the other kits like TTI, HP, PTK, etc.

3. 92FivePointSlow

don't go t5. you cna make your auto a lot stronger for the amount you would drop on the swap.

call up baumann (www.baumannengineering.com) tell him your plans, and he will tell you what you need.

4. PEARL MUSSIN

Get a Fuel system! You will need it! Also look into getting some saftey stuff, that shit is expensive....

Jeremy

5. OxEmoRon

How much power will the stock block be able to handle? if possible i really dont want to take it appart and change internals right away, lol the reason why is because. I'm getting this car with 31k miles on it, my dad doesnt have a prob with me getting bolt on mods, but if i tell him i want to rebuild it. he'll tell me that "it only has 31k miles on it, dont mod it then. its already fast enough" but he sure is wrong, i have a need for speed :-D. I'm 17 right now turn 18 in september. And im used to more speed, ive been using my dad's 93 stealth r/t twin turbo every day as my daily driver.

6. Snipe656

Stock block, I would not try to push past 550fwhp, everyone has their opinions on that one and that is mine.

7. OxEmoRon

wasnt planning on going past that much, say i just bring it to 500hp, do you think it will be reliable enough to use as a daily driver, and how fast do you think i'd be running in a 1/4 mile, id also be getting the transmission stuff and 3.73 gears.

8. Snipe656

If you build things right they can be plenty reliable. Get a kit, build the transmission up, do the rear end and a fuel system and you should be good to go with tuning of course.