1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

79 Fairmont ES 2 dr box top 351W S400

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by ami2loud, Jan 9, 2011.

1. ami2loud

Picked up my new project today. Its a 79 Fairmont ES 2 dr box top. Was a factory 5.0 4 speed car with the "ES" options. I had never heard of this and after doing some research on foureyedpride found out what it means. It has factory vented quarter windows, rear sway bar, blacked out grille and rear section between taillights, factory tach. I figured it would kind of be a "unique" Fairmont if there is such a thing haha :D

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I wrecked my 87 Turbo Stang a few months ago and have been hunting for a good replacement and decided to try this out. Here is my old build https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=117883.0

Im pretty sure im gonna sell the fuel injection stuff and go blowthrough with a carb. Ill keep this thread updated but its probably gonna be alittle while before I can make some progress. Still gotta strip the old car down and decide on my plan of attack for the Fairmont.

Cant wait feel some boostesses again! :chacha:

2. tirefryin_s10

Awesome choice! fairmonts rule!!!

3. slowboat

Yeah fairmonts !!! Looks like a cool rig.

4. 408blown

The Fairmonts are growing on me after reading that 8 sec build of I believe S10's!! Cool choice, my uncle wants to strip his 87LX and build a Fairmont too. He is going for the sleeper look.

5. watahyahknow

not realy intoo the current look of the car (it looks like the desighner only had a ruler and pencil to draw the lines ) but it has potentional
    it has a lot of overhang in the rear that and a rearspoier on the boot might just help launches a bit
    i wonder if the front sheetmetal from a 79 mustang (fenders hood bumper and grille) will bolt straight on , it might make the frontal area a bit less massive

6. tirefryin_s10

The squareness is what makes these cars as cool as they are! The sheetmetal on the mustangs is totally different as the front end of the fairmonts/zephyrs is longer then the mustang.

7. ami2loud

yeah itll take some getting used to. But im not gonna butcher up the look of it, thats what makes it unique to me.

8. bags50lx

Damn,I tried to buy that off CL. How much did you give for it?

9. 1BAD6T6

I love those square bullets! Great find sir! Now lets keeps the damn wheels on it. ;) :drive:

10. ami2loud

damn really? he said someone else was looking at it, must of been you i guess. I paid $600 for it and let him keep the 10 holes.

I really like the back wheels, wish he would have had the whole set. Not sure what they are off of. The fronts are the stockies. Unless of course you are referring to the wheel coming off my GT then yeah, lets keep the wheels on it this time :2thumbs:

11. revn351

Aren't those enkie spiderwebs? A friend had some that look like those but his were black. This was back in the day.

12. ami2loud

put on my Welds and some tint today

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

13. tirefryin_s10

looks good keep the updates coming

14. 83-88T-Bird Guy

Cool Fairmont.
    I have never seen a boxtop with those type side windows.
    Your 79 reminds me of my old 79 with the 460:

[​IMG]#ad

15. Mr. Dew

Looks like its going to be a bitchin' car. Never enough pics. Keep up the good stuff.

16. 89notchback

Love the build, makes me miss my old '79 Fairmont